Sudden shutdown (not overheating issue)

David69

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Hi, i can't figure out what is causing unexpected shutdowns of pc.
I thought it might be cause of the temperature, they where around 50-55 for CPU and 65 for GPU while playing games. So i bought new cooler for CPU, zalman similar to 212evo it works perfectly temps are around 35.
Anyway pc still powers of like a light bulb and i can turn it on immediately after and it works just fine. It usually turns off after or while playing games rarely while browsing web.
I got no idea whatsoever what could be the cause, psu was once also the issue and i replaced it for some not well-known brand.
Thanks for future help.

Pc spec:
Fx6300
Gtx 1050ti
Ga970ds3p
1xhyperx 4gb ddr3 and 1x 4gb ddr3 which im not sure of the brand
240gb patriot blaze ssd
750gb wd green

David69

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Okay i did the tests and not very surprisingly.. pc turned off just after 2min or so while using occt psu stress test it didn't turn off when using gpu-z or aida64. Thank you for helping me scout_03, i haven't heard for occt until now and i'm sure i'll be using it from now on for diagnostics :D
This will be the second time buying a new PSU sadly.. First one i got with the whole pc and that one was also unknown but it worked for 3years so i bought a new one a bit more powerfull beacause i got new gpu (gtx750) then i got the 1050ti which i'm running now. New one worked for a year, it's even worse.
So to conclude everything Buy cheap PSU if... actually never it's not worth it unless you're selling PC.

David69

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Sorry i left out commas. I tested psu with occt and pc turned off after 1minute of running the test.
Other than that, all other tests went fine with no shutting down or errors. So i'm quite sure it's the PSU. Another interesting thing is that i can play games for longer when i got the air conditioning in my room set for 22 degrees. I guess psu has some kind of bimetal which switches psu off for safety.

David69

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
http://imgur.com/gallery/kVQuOid

PSU is mounted on top of the case as you can see in the imgur gallery.
Cable managment is bad, i just put them in the bracket on top so the air opening on the bottom is free. I just realized i don't have a fan in the front of the case, so I'm getting one real soon. I don't know the name of the case but it's 6 or 8 years old, maybe even older few years. Fan on the back is cooler master.
After i installed new psu (Antec NeoEco550) i didn't had a shutdown since. So this resolved my problem.
Before that i had spire atx 550z ppfc, it worked for a year until this problem occurred.
Again, thank you for letting me know about occt, awesome stuff.