[SOLVED] Sudden unstable GPU usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 7, 2020
I have used my PC for 3.5 years without any problems, and now a couple of days ago I experience major fps drops and see that it is because of low GPU usage. I have a GTX 980, i5 6600k and 16gb ram, i also have a g-sync screen (heard that could be relevant). I used to have stable 70 fps in cod cold war, and now for no apparent reason I get 50 when standing still and as soon as I move it drops constantly, completely unplayable. I have tried updating all drivers as well as going back to older driver. I see that my cpu is going at 100% so i thought maybe some bottlenecking has occured out of nowhere, so i overclocked my cpu from 3.9ghz to 4.3, and there was no difference. Tried overclocking my gpu too but same thing, no difference. I made sure there was no low power modes or anything like that, also messed around with g-sync options but nothing helps. I didn't change any settings before that lagging started, it came completely random. Help is very appreciated!

Dec 7, 2020
since your on limit to play the game i would try to play at lower graphic settings to see if you still have fps drop .
Yes thats the weird thing, no matter how much i lower or increase the graphic settings there is no difference. I Try to put everything at minimum and i get the same fps. It has to be something else as i could play the game with medium to high settings on 70 fps just a couple of days ago.

Dec 7, 2020
do a dsl test and see it you have the net speed you pay for from isp also check if you use a router if it is not heathing up also the same thing if you use wireless pendrive .
I get 400mbps down and 50 up, also tried reinstalling windows, did a DDU and nothing helps, and i tried with my friends GTX 970.