[SOLVED] Suddenly experiencing volatile ethernet connection on one PC.

Apr 29, 2022
For starters I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to internet things but I can work my way around a computer pretty efficiently

I've suddenly started experiencing issues with the internet connection on one of my ethernet-connected PCs.
I have a Verizon 1000 MB/s router and there are two PCs connected via ethernet to it. Using the google internet speed test I hit 800 mb/s download and 400 mb/s upload on my working PC. The other one is incredibly volatile. Usually it will show 800 mb/s download and 0.08 mb/s upload, but occasionally the download speed will drop down to around 100 mb/s. With this internet issue , Youtube videos will either not load, or take a long time. When they do load, they are usually in the lowest quality unless I set it manually each time, but the video will then start buffering for a long time. I've had some connectivity issues in Discord as well, with random disconnects and laggy call audio.

What I've tried:

I've restarted my PC, and router numerous times.
I've switched out the ethernet cable, and switched ethernet ports on my router.
I've ran the network diagnostic tools (No problems reported).
I've scanned for viruses.
Network usage in task manager is around 0.1%
I've followed all the steps in this guide: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/slow-ethernet-speed-on-windows
Including:
I've changed DNS servers from the Verizon to the Cloudflare servers.
I've disabled Large Sendoff Load (IPv4 V2 and IPv6 V2)
I Did all of the command prompt things it recommended.
Tried to update drivers, but Windows said they were already up to date.

Note that another PC connected to the same router via ethernet has no issues
*WiFi seems to be working completely fine as well, but this PC does not contain a WiFi card.
This issue has emerged from seemingly nowhere

What can I do to fix this? My next best option as of right now is to factory reset the PC, but I have terabytes of games installed and I really don't feel like having to reinstall them, especially if the internet issues persist.

PC Specs:

ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz 6 Cores
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1645
32 GB Ram (1200 MHz)

Thank you
-MrFittlebob

Last edited:
Solution
So 2 things that you might try.

First see if disabling IPv6 in the networks settings makes any difference. For what ever reason you see all kinds of strange issues with IPv6.

Second this is a asus mother board and asus has been packaging lots of bloatware lately. The worst offender is their gamefirst software. This is the must stupid software in existence. It can not do anything about traffic outside the machine and if you have a network bottleneck inside your machine you are doing something very strange.
This software does all kinds of strange stuff and because of the overhead it will cap the network speed as well as put load on the cpu.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What Ethernet cable(s) are you using? Source? Ethernet cables should be Cat 5e, pure copper (no aluminum), round (not flat), UTP (unshielded twisted pair), AWG 22-24 (American Wire Gauge).

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Reliability History uses a time line format so watch for some error likewise seemed to emerge from nowhere.

Apr 29, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What Ethernet cable(s) are you using? Source? Ethernet cables should be Cat 5e, pure copper (no aluminum), round (not flat), UTP (unshielded twisted pair), AWG 22-24 (American Wire Gauge).

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any network related error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Reliability History uses a time line format so watch for some error likewise seemed to emerge from nowhere.

I updated the original post to contain my PC specs.

I listed the results from "ipconfig /all". I'm not too sure what all of this means so I redacted some stuff that might be revealing information. Let me know if something is needed or should be removed.

I'm not sure of the specs of the ethernet cables, but the same model of cable is used for both PCs. I swapped it for another random black one I had, where the issue persisted. I'm doubtful that the issue lies in the cables.

I looked in Event Viewer and there's a bunch of warnings from DMWmiBridgeProv1. (also listed below)

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myfiosgateway.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myfiosgateway.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-9D-92-64-B0-8C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 29, 2022 7:01:14 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 27, 2074 6:32:40 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::baf8:53ff:fe5d:7c21%12
[PRIVATE IP]
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 101490066
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-D5-59-17-0C-9D-92-64-B0-8C
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:4040:b4b1:ec00::1
[PRIVATE IP]
2600:4040:b4b1:ec00::1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

DMWmiBridgeProv1 Warning Message:

"A provider, DMWmiBridgeProv1, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace root\cimv2\mdm\dmmap to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests."

First see if disabling IPv6 in the networks settings makes any difference. For what ever reason you see all kinds of strange issues with IPv6.

Second this is a asus mother board and asus has been packaging lots of bloatware lately. The worst offender is their gamefirst software. This is the must stupid software in existence. It can not do anything about traffic outside the machine and if you have a network bottleneck inside your machine you are doing something very strange.
This software does all kinds of strange stuff and because of the overhead it will cap the network speed as well as put load on the cpu.

Solution
Apr 29, 2022

After disabling IPv6 things seem to be working smoother. The upload speed is in the 2-300s now and I'm not having the connectivity issues anymore. However according to some articles I read, disabling IPv6 can cause some connectivity issues with certain applications. Should I be concerned about this? Thanks for the solution though!

I don't know of any site that only uses IPv6. There might be some smaller ones say in china that can't get ipv4 addresses.

There are still many many people that only have ipv4 addresses, their ISP does not offer IPv6

Things like game consoles can use ipv6, not sure why, but they also can tunnel ipv6 over ipv4