Question Suddenly having very bad stuttering both in and out of game a few days after PC forced shut down from overheating ?

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
As title states. Started ~30 minutes after booting up Monster Hunter World for first time. Thought it was just the game, but it turns out I'm getting stuttering on my desktop and every game I play.

I have 5950x and 3080 Ti. CPU temps and GPU temps are higher than average most of the time because my cooling isn't the best. Running Windows my CPU sits at around 55-65 and under load it sits around 70-75. GPU is ~80 under load.

This is a new build. I've been trying for a few weeks to get the temps down. I changed out the fans on my AIO a few days ago and when turning on the PC I forgot to plug in the pump. Didn't realize until my PC shut off from overheating. I didn't notice any problems with the PC immediately after that happened, but now I'm wondering if the stuttering is now occurring because of my CPU getting damaged from overheating.

EDIT: Turns out it was faulty mouse

Last edited:

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
what the storage?
hdd - check health
ssd - how full it is?

check the ram usage during the game?
malware scan the system?

Only drive I have is an ADATA - XPG - SX8200 Pro Series 2TB. Just did fresh install of windows so drive has been wiped. Before the drive was wiped it had ~800GB left. RAM usage has also been normal. Even after doing fresh install of Windows the problem still persists so I'm assuming it's hardware related.

I've only had this PC for ~20 days, but I guess it's worth mentioning that I have been turning off the power strip/surge protector that it's attached to after shutting the PC down through Windows. I did not realize that this could potentially cause power surges to the power supply. Is it possible the power supply or other components in my system were damaged from doing this ~20 times? Not sure if a faulty power supply could cause stuttering. I'm also thinking my CPU might have been damaged from overheating and shutting down that one time I mentioned.

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
is the temp before you change the fan or after?
Honestly temps are pretty much the same before and after unfortunately.
ram running at xmp spec?
I've been using the only XMP profile available, which seems to be the default factory settings of 3600mhz 16-16-19-19-39-58-1.35V
check the adata ssd health?
According to CystalDiskInfo drive health is at 100% and is sitting at around 45 degrees celcius
what power profile?
Sorry not sure what you mean by power profile.

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
windows have power profile

latest motherboard bios and chipset driver?

Power profile is on balanced. Also I updated to the latest bios version at the time I built the PC. New bios version came out a week ago, which I just updated to. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but now stuttering is significantly worse now. Before the stuttering happened every minute or so when browsing desktop and every few seconds when gaming, but now just attempting to move my cursor makes it jump across the screen with no animation in between almost every time I move my mouse.

SafetyPotato

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
Power profile is on balanced. Also I updated to the latest bios version at the time I built the PC. New bios version came out a week ago, which I just updated to. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but now stuttering is significantly worse now. Before the stuttering happened every minute or so when browsing desktop and every few seconds when gaming, but now just attempting to move my cursor makes it jump across the screen with no animation in between almost every time I move my mouse.

Tried two mice side by side and turns out my mouse is causing the stuttering...