Suddenly loss of SATA-600

crate

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello there,

Last day I was sitting at my computer doing several things; remote controlling a windows box, playing back music, installing a game, extracting and downloading a bunch of software and a lot of browsing. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem.

Then in the remote control I was waiting for my mouse-click-command to complete, took a while so I moved the cursor around. It flickered so I tried minimizing the remote session.

The whole screen went black - my computer restarted, and as it went up again it could not find my system drive any more. So I checked with the UEFI and it could not find the disk. I tried a few things and after a few restarts I took the system out for investigation.

It wasn't too hot, also coretemp showed about 40-50 degree at the time of the restart. There were no loose cables. So I changed the SATA cable from the system drive to the second SATA-600 interface.

This time, after a quick stop in the UEFI, it booted correctly. I immediately shut it down to try the first SATA-600 interface again. It worked fine now.

Just earlier this day the issue happened again. 2 days after the first one. Now I'm on the second SATA-600 interface to see if the problem occurs here too.

But what do you guys think? Could it be hardware related when it does work, well, most of the time. Or is it a bad driver thing, maybe?

It's the first time I installed an OS to a SSD disk, and I didn't know anything about the F6 install method of Intels SATA controllers. I googled the thing up and ended up installing the *.sys files by manually selecting the location through the install a driver wizard. It at least seemed as it should.

Here is my specs:

Asus P8Z68-V
Core i5-2500K @ stock speeds with stock HSF
Kingston HyperX 8 GB @ 1600 MHz
GTX 560
Vertex 3 120 GB - System Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Seasonic X-760

This is not my first build and I normally don't see this kind of behavior. But as it is my first build with new technology hardware I Could use some assistance. Also if you have some good practices in regards to the SSD, I will appreciate those.

Thank you,

Peter

crate

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I have looked more into things now.

I found out that there exists a problem with P67/Z68 chipsets and the Sandforce controller. Bad thing to find out after purchase.. I need to read more on the topic though, there may be, or will be in the future, a solution to the problem.

Funny thing, I did search for firmware updates for my Vertex 3 but all I could find was that OCZ had not yet made any firmware updates.
I just found out that they did. I'm on v2.06 now and the newest is v2.13 so I'm obviously going to flash the disk now. It's going to involve a new windows install so I'll get back when I have come further in the progress.

You may still come with your updates and inputs.

Thank you.