Question Suddenly no display on monitor while installing gpu drivers or while browsing or when idle

Jan 15, 2022
MOBO: Asus P5Q SE2
PSU: Cougar 700CM
Intel Q8200
6GB DDR2
GTX 750 1GB DDR5

So I just got this gpu from my cousin and tried to install it to this pc to replace the old gpu (9400gt) from this pc, hoping to make this pc useable in playing some eSports titles.

This is my first time putting a gpu onto a PC and kinda a newbie on PC stuff, but here is what I did

I inserted the gpu to the top pcie slot (where the old gpu was inserted) Then connected the 6pin pcie cable from the PSU to the gpu (I made sure that the 6pin was firmly attached to the gpu), then I used the dvi to connect the monitor to the gpu.

So at first the pc was able to boot up, and there was a text which showed GTX 750, which I think the gpu was recognized by the pc.

After booting up to windows, I went to safe mode to use DDU to remove the current gpu drivers, then restarted and went back to the normal windows, from there I downloaded the latest gpu driver from the Nvidia, after downloading I was able to run the driver installer and ran the installer, but when the process was about I think 20-30% the pc would lose its display for a long time and my monitor's power light would began blinking (which should be in a steady light if the monitor was in use or receiving display) as if my PC was turned off even if the CPU and GPU's fans were still running. from there I would try to turn on the pc again, and it would only boot to the windows loading screen then it would again show no display, I tried to reseat the gpu but it still won't boot up pass the windows loading screen.

Since the pc won't show display with the 750, I used the old gpu and was able boot and go to safe mode and use DDU again.

After using DDU, I tried to insert the 750 again and it is now able boot pass the windows loading screen, then I went again to the Nvidia page to download the drivers again, but suddenly while downloading the drivers, the display went off again, and won't boot pass the windows loading screen again.

I have tried several times to use DDU so that I can make the 750 to boot up to windows, but when installing the drivers it always suddenly won't show display, or even sometimes if I didn't tried to install the drivers yet, while just browsing on chrome, it would suddenly show no display.

I don't the gpu or faulty or something, I tested the gpu back on my cousin's PC and is working fine and is able to download the drivers.

What could be the issue on why the gpu is suddenly not showing display?

Could it be a hardware issue?
Like, is the Mobo not compatible with the gpu or something or it is too old and cannot be used with the gpu?
Or is it the PSU? But the PSU is 700w and I think it should be able to handle the GPU's wattage requirement and It has a 6pin pcie connector, which I'm sure is connected to the gpu properly.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Initially, I'd suggest to DDU the drivers one more time and then just run the card with the native Windows drivers to see if this issue persists or if the card is stable with them...don't install the NVIDIA drivers for a while. Since you see things on your monitor, it seems compatible to begin with. This might be some sort of weird driver conflict.

How about airflow in your case? Does your case have decent airflow or is it locked up?

Do any of the other I/O ports work?

Hope any one of these helps!

Jan 15, 2022
Initially, I'd suggest to DDU the drivers one more time and then just run the card with the native Windows drivers to see if this issue persists or if the card is stable with them...don't install the NVIDIA drivers for a while. Since you see things on your monitor, it seems compatible to begin with. This might be some sort of weird driver conflict.

How about airflow in your case? Does your case have decent airflow or is it locked up?

Do any of the other I/O ports work?

Hope any one of these helps!
Yeah, I tried using the gpu without installing drivers for awhile, but it would still always suddenly end up having no display.

Regrading about the airflow, I was doing this while the side panel was open, and was in an air conditioned room.

Jan 15, 2022
I literally have the same issue as yours but I'm using the rx 570.
Try using your friends PSU on your system and check if the issue still there.
I'm also thinking that it might be an issue with the PSU, I do have another PSU laying around, but the problem is that I cannot remove the 24pin attached to the motherboard, no matter how hard I try to remove it.

Getting desperate, im thinking of just selling this card and buy a card that doesn't need external power connectors, like a gt 1030 since it only draws 30w from the pcie slot, and the 9400 gt I'm using draws only 50w from the pcie slot (iirc) and it works perfectly fine.

Do you think that would work?

jaybarillo

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
What do you mean you can't remove the 24 pin?
24 pin have a latch holding it in place, have you tried pressing it when you tried removing it?

gtx 750 is much better than the 1030 in games.
I would suggest testing different PSU first, as using an faulty PSU might lead to more issues.

Jan 15, 2022
What do you mean you can't remove the 24 pin?
24 pin have a latch holding it in place, have you tried pressing it when you tried removing it?

gtx 750 is much better than the 1030 in games.
I would suggest testing different PSU first, as using an faulty PSU might lead to more issues.
Yes, I have tried pressing the latch, but still cannot remove the pins, I even added something in between the latch and the slot, and tried to pull as hard as I can, but still no luck, hard as fck lol as if it was super glued to the slot.

As for the performance in games between the two cards, I don't see that much of an issue, I will be just playing esports titles and old mmorpg games on a 900p 60hz monitor.

I'm just opting for the 1030 for a safe bet since it has a lower wattage than the 9400gt I'm using, and I just need something to use for the meantime, while saving up for a new pc to replace this ancient pc.