[SOLVED] Suddenly no power at all after windows update

Aug 8, 2019
I just built a new pc and it was working all right for 1 day but then when I tried to update windows it just crashed and it won’t boot. So i decided to turn it off and boom next thing is no power at all. Did I mess up? Fried mobo or psu?

Specs

Ryzen 5 3600x
Sapphire nitro+ RX 480
MSI B450M Mortar max
Patriot viper steel 3600c17
Intel 660p 1tb m2 nvme
Seasonic Forcus gold 80+ gx650w
Phanteks p300

Last edited:
Solution
Update:
Came back from the store and they said that my PSU is good. It was the GPU that was maybe busted because it doesn’t display anything. My pc is now turning on.. but without a display.. and they said this is because of the GPU. (The GPU was actually pre-owned) I really have no idea what the hell just happened there. Just last night I couldn’t even see any signs of power. But now is turning on.
You have to replace the GPU then I guess. Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Hopefully that goes smoothly for you.
There are no lights at all. Fans not spinning. No movement. No noise.
Did the PSU cable get loose? Did the PSU power switch get flipped? Did the computer power switch cables disconnect / were loose? Other than that I would assume that the PSU went boom after restarting to apply updates. Can also try plugging the PSU directly into the wall outlet if it is plugged into a power strip.

Aug 8, 2019
Did the PSU cable get loose? Did the PSU power switch get flipped? Did the computer power switch cables disconnect / were loose? Other than that I would assume that the PSU went boom after restarting to apply updates. Can also try plugging the PSU directly into the wall outlet if it is plugged into a power strip.
I already tried disconnecting and reconnecting the PSU cables and in the motherboard. I am connected directly to a wall outlet.

Thanks for the replies.
I will try and go to the store tomorrow to have it checked and/or replace the PSU. Do you think I would have to buy a new one? I bought it just the day before yesterday.

Last edited:
I already tried disconnecting and reconnecting the PSU cables and in the motherboard. I am connected directly to a wall outlet.

Thanks for the replies.
I will try and go to the store tomorrow to have it checked and/or replace the PSU. Do you think I would have to buy a new one? I bought it just the day before yesterday.
You can just return it and get another one and see if that works. Seasonic is the best brand IMO of PSU's however no PSU company are immune to making a dud.

Aug 8, 2019
You can just return it and get another one and see if that works. Seasonic is the best brand IMO of PSU's however no PSU company are immune to making a dud.

Thanks for your time! I will make an update once I come back from the store.

Update: I just came back from a computer repair shop and they tested my psu and its not powering on. I’m gonna have it replaced tomorrow where I bought it it was closed today.

Edit: I also found out that somehow my M.2 was incorrectly installed. It was bent without a standoff it was screwed in. Could it have possibly caused my psu to blow up?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019
Update:
Came back from the store and they said that my PSU is good. It was the GPU that was maybe busted because it doesn’t display anything. My pc is now turning on.. but without a display.. and they said this is because of the GPU. (The GPU was actually pre-owned) I really have no idea what the hell just happened there. Just last night I couldn’t even see any signs of power. But now is turning on.

Update:
You have to replace the GPU then I guess. Thanks for keeping the thread updated. Hopefully that goes smoothly for you.

Solution
Aug 8, 2019
Update : Had the store replaced my GPU. went to turn on the pc. Was working for 2hrs and then suddenly shuts down again. I THINK I FRIED ANOTHER GPU.
No idea of the possible cause. Not overclocking. I think many people experience a similar issue but couldn’t find a real solution. Is this because of AMD Card too high temps?

I’m afraid that it will damage my motherboard and other parts. What should I do?

Not really sure if replacing the GPU again will solve the problem because two GPUs just died in a span of 3 days.

GPU or motherboard related?

Last edited:
Update : Had the store replaced my GPU. went to turn on the pc. Was working for 2hrs and then suddenly shuts down again. I THINK I FRIED ANOTHER GPU.
No idea of the possible cause. Not overclocking. I think many people experience a similar issue but couldn’t find a real solution. Is this because of AMD Card too high temps?

I’m afraid that it will damage my motherboard and other parts. What should I do?

Not really sure if replacing the GPU again will solve the problem because two GPUs just died in a span of 3 days.

GPU or motherboard related?
When it shut down this time was it a bluescreen or was it like before and just randomly looked like it lost power and black screened? If you can get back into windows I would download the latest graphics drivers and remove current ones with DDU to reinstall. If your computer is like before where you press the power button but nothing happens I would be looking again back at the power supply.

As far as temperatures go I seriously doubt it was the HPU temps that caused this if you were not doing anything graphically intensive at the time of the shutdown. However, if the CPU is overheating really bad the computer would shutdown. Usually, when a CPU overheats it would still allow you to restart the computer to BIOS at minimum before it overheats again and shuts down again.

Aug 8, 2019
When it shut down this time was it a bluescreen or was it like before and just randomly looked like it lost power and black screened? If you can get back into windows I would download the latest graphics drivers and remove current ones with DDU to reinstall. If your computer is like before where you press the power button but nothing happens I would be looking again back at the power supply.

As far as temperatures go I seriously doubt it was the HPU temps that caused this if you were not doing anything graphically intensive at the time of the shutdown. However, if the CPU is overheating really bad the computer would shutdown. Usually, when a CPU overheats it would still allow you to restart the computer to BIOS at minimum before it overheats again and shuts down again.
Solved! Thanks for your time! It turned out that the RX 480 is not for me. I’m using RX 580 now and its working perfect. Must be the GPU being very old