[SOLVED] Suddenly reduced FPS in "heavy" games.

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Hi. A few days ago I had 140+ FPS on ultra in BF5. Now I run with 80-100 FPS on medium. One of my ram sticks went bad the same day, but i doubt that is the reason why i drop more than 40 frames per second and a few graphic quality levels. I've played around with the settings, used fps guides and everything, to make sure it's not the in-game settings. I used to have 2 x 8 ram but as i said, one of them had 10k errors in memtest86, and crashed my PC. I also noticed a slightly lower fps than usual in DayZ and Arma 3. I don't really notice the framerate drop in other games like CSGO and Rocket League, because it's so high anyway.

Note: When in game (BFV), 96% of my memory is used.

Specs:
Zotac RTX 2080
i7 9700k
1 x 8 gb ram 2666 HyperX Fury
Z390 Aorus pro
Corsair RM750x
Noctua NH D15

Solution
Pretty sure that the 1 stick of RAM is the reason.
Gaming with 8GB RAM in demanding games is very bad idea especially as you say you use 96% of your RAM. Not only you use almost all the available RAM(I don't think that you can really use 100% anyway), it also runs in single channel...
Gaming with 8GB RAM in demanding games is very bad idea especially as you say you use 96% of your RAM. Not only you use almost all the available RAM(I don't think that you can really use 100% anyway), it also runs in single channel...

Solution

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
I will buy a new pair of sticks tomorrow and come back here and update.

saltySquash

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016

Nope it didn't even change anything FPS wise.

Did you enable XMP? Do you see the same memory utilisation? Try DDU in dafe mode to remove drivers and install either newer or previous drivers.

Also, did something happened and your RAM stick went bad? Power surge or something like that?

Last edited: