Sudoku Help?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I'm getting into CLASSIC Sudoku but have some questions about notation and where to find the best Free and/or Cheap Sudoko Sites AND/OR Android/Windows Apps/Software (but NOT Apple/iPhone/iPad ok).

Not so interested in printing stuff out.

PLEASE Note - I am really most interested in sites/apps/software which allow you to do BOTH notation techniques described below - pencilling numbers in; in the Corners AND the Centre ok.

At the very least it should be able to notate in the corners.

I am using the two main notation (pencil marking) techniques shown in this video

Snyder is where you put a candidate for that 9x Cell - Square in the Corners (or outer border of each single cell).

But I don't know what you call the other notation technique where you place numbers in the Centre?

I know you write numbers in the Centre because they are possible options for that Cell because they are numbers that are missing from or have to be in that row (either the vertical or horizontal row or both for that Cell).

And which is it btw - just one of those reasons or both?
The numbers in the Centre Can be or Have to be those numbers? I assume a mix of both depending on the Cell?

The video link loads up where it first talks about using the notation in the Centre of the Cell talking about a 4/5 pair.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
I play Sudoku at the below site. I haven't tried downloadable version but I have the variations aspect.

Yeah that's not the kind I'm looking for at all. That's even less user friendly than the one I'm using now (NYT).

You might want to think about moving on from that one and try the NY Times Sudoku or the Cracking the Cryptic 'Classic Sudoku' either from their website or their app. The latter is a paid app though - I might buy that as it'll be better - but trying to find something similar that is free first?

Look at the video to see how much easier it is to use having two different ways to add numbers. There's no space in the one you listed - numbers are too big and the squares are too small.

Cheers

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
When you have "candidates" like the NY Times Sudoku, it sort of makes even the hard ones way to easy. In the one I listed, if you click on options, you can activate the ability to put multiple numbers in a cell to help find solutions.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
When you have "candidates" like the NY Times Sudoku, it sort of makes even the hard ones way to easy. In the one I listed, if you click on options, you can activate the ability to put multiple numbers in a cell to help find solutions.

Yes but there is still very little room in the cells - they are too small. Compare it to the NYT or Cryptic examples.

And no - I'm not talking about Auto-Candidates - I mean the option where you add numbers to the "corners" where you manually add specific Candidates yourself.

Even then Hard is still hard and takes time.

cheers