Sufficient power supply?

Slymy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Hi there,

I built my own PC a few months back and am still unsure of whether my PSU is sufficient.

I have been researching overclocking for a while now but don't want to venture into practice not knowing if I am getting enough power from my PSU...

Here's my build:

XFX Pro 650Watt Core Edition PSU
AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
i5 3570k (stock)
Shadowrock Topflow SR1
Corsair Vengeance 8GB Low-Profile
Powercolor Radeon HD7870 Ghz Edition 2GB (stock)

I have used these "Wattage calculators" that people recommend but for some reason I find it hard trusting them.

I suppose all I'm looking for is a little bit of closure and reassurance. I don't want to go frying this thing after spending quite a bit of money on it!!

Also, is my GPU crap? It seems Powercolor has discontinued it....

http://

This is the card I have, it seems they brought a second version of it out.....

Thanks to all who reply!

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

As far as overcloking you are good to go. You have enough power to deal with it. Your 12V rail is 53 amp and your CPU stock and GPU stock will use 77W+175Wmax. OC'd will use aprox 115W+210Wmax (12V*28amp). So you are good to go.

As far as GPU it's not a crap. Powercolor still has 7870, they have only went for different GHz editions and aditional eyefinity support and other supports since your's one is one of the first GHz edition 7870's out there.

Cheers.

Slymy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Thanks a lot for your reply! I may start overclocking tomorrow!!

Just one last question concerning the GPU... I take it since it's been discontinued (and I'll probably struggle to find another one brand new) I won't be able to run it crossfire, right? Stupid question but I take it I can't run it crossfire with another 7870? I've just assumed you can't but just thought I'd ask!

Slymy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Oh, really? Damn I thought they had to be the exact same card! Oh well, now to save up for a second one!!

Thanks a lot for the replies man, looking through these forums I imagine these questions are asked so frequently it's annoying... cheers for taking the time to reply!

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

No problem :)

Slymy

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Crap, one FINAL question!!! If I was to run 2 7870s in crossfire... should I upgrade my PSU (to an 850W or above?) or would I still be ok with the XFX 650W I have just now? To be honest I regret not getting a modular PSU (so many cables with the XFX, many of which I don't even use... inside of my case is a mess) but I suppose it was the price I paid for cutting corners somewhat on the power supply.

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

You are good to go with crossfire on this setup. Your PSU is great one according to hardwaresecrets and they test PSU's real hard.

Plug'n'play dude ;)