Question Suggest an A3 scanner: CIS vs CCD

Seedmanc

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Hello, I'm looking for an A3-format scanner under $600.
My local sellers offer only a limited range of Mustek and Plustek scanners and the reviews favor Plustek over the former, so I'm mostly down to two options: the CIS Opticslim 1180 and the CCD Opticpro A320L one. There are major weight, size and price differences between them, so I wonder whether CCD is worth it.

Currently I have an Epson CX4900 A4 scanner as a part of a multifunction printer, making it bulky and, obviously, not suitable for A3 scanning. I hoped to fix that by getting a dedicated A3 device, but the CCD is even heavier than my current one. I've had my Epson for many years now and while the scanner part is very reliable, I grew tired of postprocessing the moire noise away from the scanned magazines and stitching together the blurry centerfolds.
Will CCD become the magic bullet that'll solve that, or the moire problem is an inherent part of scanning printed materials? Can I assume that Plustek's overall scan quality/reliability will be at least as good as what I had on my Epson, considering the brand differences? Perhaps, the CIS technology has made a major leap forward since my old Epson and it's not worth paying extra for CCD? I don't know if Opticslim is modern enough, though.
I'm using Windows 7 x64 so I hope that the new scanner will support this OS.

As an additional question, I wonder why there isn't a catalog of some sample images scanned by various devices to be able to compare the quality and peculiarities of different technologies and brands. Perhaps some independent tech enthusiasts could have setup a website for such comparisons, because I'd really like to compare CCD and CIS with my own eyes before buying. I had a friend of mine do a test scan by a CCD Sharp AR-5623D in his office and the result had a quality too poor to my taste, but that's inconclusive since I don't know the source of the printed material or the settings used.