[SOLVED] Suggest me a CPU cooler for my rig

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My old CPU fan from an Intel DG31PR motherboard with socket 775 is not fitting on my new rig. It's 0.3 or 0.4 cm smaller than the new motherboard's screw holes.

My New rig has a Zebronics H61 motherboard with socket 1155. (Form Factor Micro ATX)

Please suggest me a CPU fan that fits correctly. I want a better one than the Intel stock cooler

Solution
The issue here is that while your zebronics board has standard dimension cpu mounting holes zebronics boards have a backplate that takes screw threads no stock intel push pins.

Thats why a stock intel cooler wouldn't fit properly.

The a30 also has push pin fitment so won't fit directly either.

You need to either source a stock intel backplate with push pin fittings to fit a stock intel cooler or the a30 OR you need to source a cooler that comes with its own backplate and has a custom fitting method.
My old CPU fan from an Intel DG31PR motherboard with socket 775 is not fitting on my new rig. It's 0.3 or 0.4 cm smaller than the new motherboard's screw holes.

My New rig has a Zebronics H61 motherboard with socket 1155. (Form Factor Micro ATX)

Please suggest me a CPU fan that fits correctly. I want a better one than the Intel stock cooler
All MBs with LGA 115x socket have same mounts for coolers. Size to be chosen by CPU, it's not same thing cooling an i3 or i7.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
From what it seems, the cooler supports LGA 1155, LGA 775 Etc.
I had a Intel stock cooler for LGA 775, which Didn't fit my Zeb H61.
I don't really wanna take any chances as I'm too low on budget.

Is it for sure that it will fit in my motherboard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Intel stock cooler = 775
Zebronics H61 = 1155 (thus why the Intel won't fit)

Antec A30 = 775/1150/1151/1155/1156/1200

It will work fine, you just need to make sure you use the correct bracket for your socket that should come with the cooler.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
What's your budget and case? You can always get cheapo 120mm tower ones like Hyper212 knockoffs, they're flooding the market in where I live. These ones are best bang for the buck, especially for non-overclocked processors. Heck, you can go smaller like a Gammaxx 300T or 200M and would still see improvement over Intel's stock. The main caveat is that older PC cases won't accept a 120mm tower cooler easily; they come in at about 150mm ish height, most are under 160mm (incidentally, the common height limitation of mATX or small ATX cases).

If you can't fit a Hyper 212, then the 300T or 200M and anything that resembles those. Those two are just the ones from the top of my head. There's also ID-Cooling SE-914-XT that looks way nicer, but I realize ID-Cooling might not be as widely available as Deepcool.

Something to keep in mind, I notice some coolers still use the plastic ring mounting kit. Avoid these like the plague, they're a pain to remove, and they don't provide cooler with good, lasting pressure on the processor. Plus you can break the mounting clips easily. Only get these if the cooler in question has no other option (like my old PCCooler Mini, a $5 80mm tower) and you have no other option as well.

Alternatively, there's always dirt cheap stock LGA 115x coolers for sale. Get a used Intel one, or a new, rebranded one (see also: Arctic Alpine 12 CO). These will do the job, but not great. Temps should be fine since you won't be overclocking with the motherboard anyway.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My Motherboard is A Zebronics H61 With LGA 1155.
Antec A30 Supports LGA 1155, LGA 775, Etc
My Old Intel Stock Fan With Socket LGA 775 Didn't Fit On My Zeb H61.

Will Antec A30 Fit? Is It Universal?

The issue here is that while your zebronics board has standard dimension cpu mounting holes zebronics boards have a backplate that takes screw threads no stock intel push pins.

You need to either source a stock intel backplate with push pin fittings to fit a stock intel cooler or the a30 OR you need to source a cooler that comes with its own backplate and has a custom fitting method.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Never handled that board before, so I'm curious if the backplate is removeable? Or is it removeable but the holes won't take a push pin mounting?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Its removable, its the same size as a stock intel backplate so can be swapped for one if you can find one.

Stock intel bracket has push pin sockets (which the universal a30 needs), the zebronics has threaded screw sockets.
I see. Personally it makes more sense to me to just get a cheap 120mm tower cooler with backplate since it can be kept through upgrades. OP's choice, though.