Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
My 2017 rig :
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/23rdpulikesi/saved/#view=kLPhMp
Ryzen7 1700
Msi B350 Tomahawk
Msi RX 480 Armor 8GB OC
Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz 16gb(8*2)

Actually My old RAM(F4-3200C16D-16GTZB) - Gskill TridentZ 3200mhz 16gb(8*2) works in 2933mhz with XMP1 perfectly, now 1 RAM is not working .

So looking to add more RAM
which option is better ? (I would like to put 32gb as final)
- 2 * 16gb - whole new (lets keep the old RAM as backup)
(or)
- buying single 18gb as equivalent to my old RAM and new 28gb(will this work as quad channel?, i would like to achieve 2933mhz as old RAM) -(IS this possible).

In my region, my old RAM is not available. I am from India.😌
Kindly give me some available best RAM.

Solution
Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the motherboard?

The User Guide/Manual should list both the supported RAM modules and corresponding RAM configurations (slots).

The User Guide/Manual will likely refer back to Msi's website for more information about the RAM that can be used. Often presented via a QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) matched to both the motherboard and its revision.

You must read all of the notes and fine print. Pay attention to any warnings or cautions.

The RAM you purchase must be a matched pair (2 x 8G for example) in order to use dual channel.

Purchasing individual RAM modules and/or mixing in older RAM modules will likely cause problems.

Get new RAM and install for 16GB. Ensure that the system works and...

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the motherboard?

The User Guide/Manual should list both the supported RAM modules and corresponding RAM configurations (slots).

The User Guide/Manual will likely refer back to Msi's website for more information about the RAM that can be used. Often presented via a QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) matched to both the motherboard and its revision.

You must read all of the notes and fine print. Pay attention to any warnings or cautions.

The RAM you purchase must be a matched pair (2 x 8G for example) in order to use dual channel.

Purchasing individual RAM modules and/or mixing in older RAM modules will likely cause problems.

Get new RAM and install for 16GB. Ensure that the system works and is stable in order to have some certainty that the new RAM works as expected. (For most users/systems 16GB RAM is more than enough but if you really require 32GB the RAM modules must be purchased accordingly.

Then, if you wish you can install the older RAM for testing per the User Guide/Manual.

The old RAM may or may not work. And if it does work it could be slower.

Another suggestion: visit the RAM manufacturer's websites to find what RAM modules they list and offer for the motherboard. Ensure that all of the RAM specs and installation information agrees.

Solution