Suggest Memory

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

They did change the Experience Index with Win 7, it goes up to 7.9

@OP A friend just recently built an AMD based system using the Mushkin I suggested above running Win 7 RC 64 bit and at default settings he has a memory score of 7.3

Munchkin is another distributor I have never tried. I'm a little preturbed at G. Skill for taking three days to answer a legitimate request for RMA under warranty. On the other hand, OCZ replied the same day with an RMA authorization number for my PCP&C 610. Service is what I need. 8)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The munchkins at Mushkin pride themselves on good service, and their memory is always among the best.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

You should try them. I can't tell how refreshing it was, in this day and age, when I had a stick go bad and looked on their site and got a phone number. I called the number and an American answered (they're based in Colorado) who I could actually understand and was happy to help me with my problem. There is nothing I hate more than going through one automated menu after another just to finally get on the line with someone that speaks English as a 5th language and the only thing they know is how to read the sheet in front of them telling them what to say.

Haha! Yeah, today my wife called AT&T support to set up a secondary email account. Her call was outsorced to the middle east and She ws told her Vista 64 system she was at was not supported! What! Anyway, yeah American business has taken a real hit lately. Bailout after bailout. Good to know munchkin is doing ok and has people who are fluent in english answering the phone. I like that. Respect of some sort.

BTW, I forgot to ask Crashman and you...is there a way to know which Munchkin chips are made by individual chipmakers? Like which of Munchkin's RAM are say Samsung or Micron? Maybe one of you have a list of all RAM distributors show which chipmakers makes which RAM?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'm not sure which G.Skill uses, but Qimonda RAM has been around a long time under the name Infineon.

If you don't know Infineon, you're a true newb!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Lower voltage for Qimonda RAM could be a result of deep trench technology.

Google tells me that technology has been around for a while. Even if it were intellictual property, someone has no doubt stolen the technology by now. Never know which of these chipmakers are living in the dark. The marketing people are sharp. Ballistic, Dominator, Reaper, Red Line, Viper, Platinum. Nobody ever talks about what's new in cutting edge RAM development and technology. I thought RAM was going in the direction of 'hard drive/jump drive' likeness. Fast rewritable storage that can be plugged in like a flash drive. Easy interchangeable access. I haven't heard anything along these lines in a while.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You mean like magnetoresistive DRAM? I haven't heard anything in a while, last I heard they were still working out how to make it cheaper.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Mushkin stopped listing the chips they used a year or so ago. All their XP line (black heat speaders) used micron D9's and most of the HP line (blue heat spreaders) were D9's as well but I don't know if that's changed now.

b_digital

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
If the Mushkin is as good as you say they are then I will opt for them since I can get them locally from Directron, no waiting for shipping :D

Thanks all
cheers!!