suggestion and info about using 2 internal hard disks simultaneously

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
i need a suggestion and some information regarding hdd.
i have one hdd running at the moment on my system.
i am thinking about purchasing a new one.
i have 2 options.
1. buy 1 tb hdd and sell my current 500 gb hdd.
2.(can i do this?) buy another hdd of 500 gb (instead of 1 tb) and use both (old and new) hdd simultaneously.

what are the advantages , disadvantages and requirements for using two internal hard disks simultaneously?
i have required power supply wires and space in my cpu.

also

how does it actually work?
what is going to happen to my already installed programs from my current hdd if i connect it with a new hdd?

in order to make it work, what are the different changes do i have to make in BIOS settings?
what about 'boot' options?

i have w7 on my current hdd. how do i have to proceed if i am to install a brand new hdd along with an older one?
can you give me any link of the article or video which would guide me for this procedure?

Solution
No disadvantages in using 2 HDDs simultaneously.
Power off the computer when installing new components.
Look on youtube for tutorials (ex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgFYNLzn18 )
Windows and old programs will be fine. In boot options keep the old HDD (where Windows is installed) as first boot device.
After installing the new HDD, run Disk management, initialize, format it and create partitions (optionally).

plaintuts

Admirable
You do know that you only need to type "installing 2nd hard drive " on Google search for this procedure with links to YouTube...

Anyways, yes for 2nd hard drive

Just connect the the required sata cable and molex power
Then on windows check on disk management to allocate a drive path to the new drive

No, you don't need to install an OS on the secondary drive

No disadvantages in using 2 HDDs simultaneously.
Power off the computer when installing new components.
Look on youtube for tutorials (ex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgFYNLzn18 )
Windows and old programs will be fine. In boot options keep the old HDD (where Windows is installed) as first boot device.
After installing the new HDD, run Disk management, initialize, format it and create partitions (optionally).

Solution

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

well there arent many reliable resources .
anyways,

is it advisable to use 2 HDDs from different companies? with different transfer rate etc.
i currently have a seagate hdd. i am looking for WD . will it cause any problem?

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
okay.
i have one more problem .
i have bought my motherboard from a local computer shop a couple years ago and booked an hdd online.
the owner of the shop suggested me that he could install my brand new hdd (now my current one) in cpu (which he was selling to me).
i agreed.
and when i started my computer for the first time with new motherboard and new hdd . it gave a CMOS checksum error.
the computer started despite of that error.
i reported it to him.
he asked me to leave it like that. it wont cause any problem to my systsem.
its been 14-16 months since this happened.
the error still comes when i start my pc. it goes away after hitting enter or after the countdown gets over..and the system works fine.
i havent had any problems with this hdd as well..
so my question is,
will i encounter any problem while installing or using this current hdd and a new one?
i am posting a pic of that error
http://i.imgur.com/2EiZIkO.jpg?1

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

yes . the battery is dead. each time i turn on my pc i have to set the date & time up
i didn't know that battery caused this problem as well.
thank you i will replace it

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
1 more doubt.
as you guys suggested, if i connected a new hdd with the older one ( in which os has been installed) , what are my options in case i decide to replace the older hdd in the future?
lets say i have 500gb hdd in which my os has been installed.
now i am buying a new hdd with 1tb.
lets assume that i will use it for 2-3 years and i will have to replace a hdd if i have space/memory problems.
surely i will be replacing the hdd with lower size(500gb) with a bigger (lets say 2tb)one in order to get overall more space (ie. 1tb and 2tb= 3tb)
in such case, what should i do?
wouldn't it cause os problem since both hdds (1tb and 2 tb) wont be having actual os installed into them?

plaintuts

Admirable
Different Drive capacity does not matter with any OS, as long as its supported

This where different types of hard drive comes into play, example
Wd blue is for general use
Wd red is reliable backup storage
Wd black is performance oriented

All 3 are similar hard drives but its better to use wd blue for the OS, and all 3 can be installed on the same computer even with different capacity

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

i am not worried about the drives's capacities, i am worried about the situation where,
i am using 2 hdds simultaneously , i have an old one in which my current os has been installed and a new one which i will be attaching in few days. my doubt is, whether i will face any problem if(in future) i were to replace the old hdd(in which os has been installed) with a new one . it would make my system " with 2 hdds without os having actually installed in anyone of them "

abhiken

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
ok then . As suggested by you guys i have done it. i am currently running 2 hard disks at once.

since i am not using RAID , what will happen if my os crashes?
i didnt have a cable of power supply for this new hdd , so i disconnected the power supply of cd/dvd and connected it to the hdd. this is a temporary solution.
i will do something to fix it permanently.

so my doubt is , what if my os crashes? since the os has been installed in a single drive, if i disconnected this new drive and use it on another computer , will it work? i mean , would crashed os in different disk cause any problem to the other one as well?

TRENDING THREADS