[SOLVED] Suggestion for case fans for a NZXT S340

Jun 21, 2019
Hello! The temps on my PC are starting to worry me and i'd like to take some preventive measures to make sure my hardware upgrades don't end up overheating. I have a NZXT S340 that i imagine came with the default fans. I'd like to upgrade those fans for something with more power. I was thinking about the MF120R from Cooler Master, is that a good idea?

Solution
Hey so. My case has 2 fans and my CPU has a cooler. My mobo only has 2 headers, sys and CPU.

But the 3 fans are running and sys header has no connections to it. Only cpu header.
Is this even possible?
The stock fans are connected to the case's own fan headers.
Since you only have one mobo header remaining, you will need a fan splitter like the one above to add 2 more fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is your current hardware?
There's not a whole lot you can do in regards to case cooling. The focus of a minimalist case like this one wasn't thermals - those will just be OK, unless you're trying to run some high power hardware in there.
I see no real reason to replace the stock fans... and keep in mind the specs for a fan are for 100% rpm. You don't normally run fans at 100%, right?

https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white
This case already includes a top and rear fan; just add 2 of those MF120Rs in the front.

Noise is the determining factor. Are your current fans set to max speed in your bios? You should be able to research the standard fans to find their CFM rating. Anything higher will be better but also louder. It’s all personal preference. I use a gaming headset and therefor don’t care about noise and have very fast loud fans.

Jun 21, 2019
What is your current hardware?
There's not a whole lot you can do in regards to case cooling. The focus of a minimalist case like this one wasn't thermals - those will just be OK, unless you're trying to run some high power hardware in there.
I see no real reason to replace the stock fans... and keep in mind the specs for a fan are for 100% rpm. You don't normally run fans at 100%, right?

https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white
This case already includes a top and rear fan; just add 2 of those MF120Rs in the front.

i'm upgrading to a gigabyte rtx 2060 and it really loves to go above 70-80C so i'm worried about cooling for this reason

Jun 21, 2019
Alright so, i can get 2 MF120Rs but somsething worries me now
My mobo is an H310M H2.0, How many fans can it support? Can it support the MF120? i don't know if it has rgb support

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have the motherboard manual, don't you? The fan headers are marked in there, plus they're not hard to find on the board itself.
The W_Pump and AIO headers, if your particular mobo has them, are also used for case fans if needed.
1658c32c_04-pcie-header-upper-rigth.jpeg

Same for the RGB headers, if the mobo has any. RGB headers are usually marked in white.
pic2.jpg

And if your mobo happens to be short on headers, you can purchase a fan splitter, or hub.
31hse-G5jLL._SX425_.jpg

Jun 21, 2019
Hey so. My case has 2 fans and my CPU has a cooler. My mobo only has 2 headers, sys and CPU.

But the 3 fans are running and sys header has no connections to it. Only cpu header.
Is this even possible?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Is this even possible?
The stock fans are connected to the case's own fan headers.
Since you only have one mobo header remaining, you will need a fan splitter like the one above to add 2 more fans.

Solution