Question Suggestion for Repairing LG Monitor That Powers Off After Split Second

bzowk

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hey Guys -

I've got an LG 23MP47HQ which took a dive over the weekend. When adjusting the brightness of it Sunday morning, it went dark. Now every time when I plug it in, it shows the desktop for a split second then goes black and get the same result on different PC. Figured a blown cap, so started disassembly.

Took monitor apart but didn't see anything that stood out on the power board - below is a pic of the actual board. It was then I felt like a dummy as I realized the monitor had an external power supply. Tested it (19V 1.3A) with multimeter and all seemed ok, but tried another one I had laying around (19V 1.58A) feeling sure it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, I got the same results.

I'd assume replacing the power board in the monitor would be the next step, but aside from that; is there anything else I can do / try first? Perhaps test each capacitor on that board?

Thanks!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At3Hl7yIppAzhOsbl_xqpLmsMJ2vlw?e=0WiWcZ

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"When adjusting the brightness of it Sunday morning, "

What exactly did you do to make the adjustment? Are you able to get back into the applicable "brightness" screens/menus to reverse the brightness change?

Or even just reset the LG Monitor display to factory default settings?

bzowk

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I was adjusting it via software (not hardware buttons) and was bringing it back up when the issue occurred. Its something I do almost every morning without issue on my monitors. When it powers on currently, the split second it shows the desktop is at (or near) max brightness. Not to mention, OSD doesn't work. Hope that answers the question.

Also took the board back out again today and checked the 3 capacitors as best I knew how. Basically set meter to 20k ohms, touched leads, and value climbed as expected.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You can probably buy a replacement power board on ebay.
But, there is no guarantee that will fix the unit.

Unless the unit is within the 1 year warranty, just dump it and buy a new monitor.

You will appreciate a larger/higher resolution unit.

bzowk

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I agree - just making sure there wasn't anything easy I was leaving out. Would love to get something bigger, but am married with 2 & 4 year old so chances are slim :) Thanks!