Question Suggestion for system backup

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
My Win 7 is on a sata hd and at various times when I boot up, i get hit with chkdsk. It disappeared for a couple of months and now its starting again....so i was considering to back it up on my external hd. In the meantime, I also have Win 10 on a recent purchase of a SDD drive, and now its also starting to begin with chksdk also. Isn't this unusual? Now if I backkup either one, most likely Win 7 because the drive is almost 5 years old, but if i make a backup of it, wouldn't i be backing the same chkdsk function on the new drive?

Ralston18

Titan
This: "i get hit with chkdsk "

When does the "hit" occur?

What exactly happens: Is it a "Yes, No" prompt, does the chkdsk command actually run and present results?

More information needed.

My thought is that there is some utility or batch file being launched during startup.

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any apps or utilities that you do not recognize or expect.

Also look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can associate with chkdsk's appearance.

Start with the Win 10 system - may be easier to determine when it first started on that system.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
This: "i get hit with chkdsk "

When does the "hit" occur?

What exactly happens: Is it a "Yes, No" prompt, does the chkdsk command actually run and present results?

More information needed.

My thought is that there is some utility or batch file being launched during startup.

Look in Task Manager > Startup for any apps or utilities that you do not recognize or expect.

Also look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that you can associate with chkdsk's appearance.

Start with the Win 10 system - may be easier to determine when it first started on that system.
You throw words around like everyone should know...what is reliability History and where do i look for it, would help? How does one know when it started if this started a couple of months ago...first, only Win 7, which I can see, being a 5 yr hd, but a month old new Win 10...BTW, i have a dual system, if that is of any consequence.

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back: apologies. I should have requested full hardware specs and details regarding the OS installations.

= = = =

Reliability History/Monitor - FYI:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...liability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

You can easily find other similar links and then, as necessary, revise the search criteria to match your circumstances....

For the most part if you type "Reliability Monitor" or "Reliability History" into the Windows"Type here to search" box (usually in lower left screen corner) the applicable choice will be presented to you.

Interesting that both Win 7 and now Win 10 are now presenting the "chkdsk".

And I will second @thx1138v2: Backup. Even if the function or cause (whatever it is) is copied you still have your data.

Are you familiar with or using BCDEdit?

Overall, with Windows 7 becoming a bit dated my thought is that any current drivers and software seeing Windows 7 do not or may not truly understand what Windows 7 is. And the easy route thereafter is to simply question the health of the disk.

Take a closer look at chkdsk:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/what-is-chkdsk.html

Learning what it is and what it does may very well help determine why it appears.

And I am still not sure about what being "hit with" chkdsk actually is or means.....

Are you able to capture a couple of screenshots and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
amd I'm still not sure what being " hit with" chkdsk means....>>>
Sorry, its slang for it comes on automatically when I boot into either system
You certainly gave me more info that I think I can handle, but will try to follow them the best I can BTW< the chkdsk has stopped for the past 2 days and I never even gave it a go-ahead, just to see if it would end it.

Last edited: