Suggestion for Upgrade

Jul 16, 2018
Hey Guys -

Being in the technology field, I use my home workstation for a massive amount of things including work, gaming, Plex host, file share, web hosting, gaming, VR, and more. It stays on 24/7 and has decent hardware - the full specs are at the end of this post. As you'll see, the CPU is getting kind of outdated and I find its frequently maxed out or close to it - especially when running media scans and such.

I looked to replace it, but found that doing so would mean that I'd need a new motherboard (socket) therefore new RAM as well since it won't be compatible which gets pretty pricey. When looking, though; the newest processors for the range I paid for the 3770k way back when aren't that much faster. The i7-7700k which is the current customer choice award winner has benchmarks only about 20% better than the 3770k. I understand we've reached the limit for transistor size, but don't know how to proceed or if its even worth it. I've already moved some things over to another system which I run ESX on, but some things I can't move.

Based on all of this and the below specs, what would you think be the best way to proceed? Open to suggestions - Thanks!

System Specs
- Case: NZXT H630 Ultra Tower Case (a monster)
- CPU: Intel i7-3770k / LGA-1155 / Software OC'd to 4.1Ghz
- Memory: 32gb DDR3 4x8gb
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
- GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
- Disks: 15 total
- C:\ 256gb SSD - OS & Apps
- D:\ 43.7tb disk pool (Stablebit) composed of 11 platters & 1 SSD for caching) - Media storage
- E:\ 1tb Hybrid for Plex DB / Cache, App, and Game installs
- G:\ 256gb SSD for Oculus Installs
- RocketRAID SAS Controller (Pair of SAS ports fanned out to support 8 of the SATA drives)
- Cooler Master Hydro 212 /w Dual CPU Fans
- Corsair GRID Fan Controller (With so many drives I have numerous fans to keep everything cool)
- PCIe USB3 Card (To add more ports)
- Oculus Rift
- Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 1803

Thanks!

Solution
We van't reached the limit for transistor size yet. Latest technology is going fro 10 or even 7 microns comparing to 15 -20 of last couple of years but that's not main performance parameter and neither is shear frequency.
As far as that system of yours is concerned, it's pretty well maximum for it's generation so there's no real path for any substantial upgrade.
We van't reached the limit for transistor size yet. Latest technology is going fro 10 or even 7 microns comparing to 15 -20 of last couple of years but that's not main performance parameter and neither is shear frequency.
As far as that system of yours is concerned, it's pretty well maximum for it's generation so there's no real path for any substantial upgrade.

Solution