[SOLVED] Suggestions for an i5 2500 being cooled with intel cooler

Nov 8, 2021
Hi, I bought an i5 2500 to be replaced with i3 2100 everything is fine but unfortunately shipping for the cooler i bought takes so long that it will arrive a few weeks later so i installed new CPU with intel cooler to test it every thing is ok except temps idle temp is 45 and it goes up to 98 with stress test loading heavy programs will make it around 83 (Celsius) it used to be 62 for i3 2100 with stress test. My question is that what's your suggestions should I use it this way till new cooler arrives or its dangerous? In addition I disabled intel turbo boost in bios to make it stay at 3.3 GHz but still it gets boosted to 3.7 GHz frequency

Solution
I think frequency settings in bios are all locked maybe because its not a ix-xxxx(k) CPU?
Lowering cpu operating frequency is standard functionality (required for Enhanced Intel Speed-step Technology (EIST) to work).
Unless you disabled EIST in BIOS, these options should be available.

And the cooler is Green Notus-200 air cooler (125w tdp)
This one? It should be perfectly capable of cooling your cpu.

Notus200_PWM_9.jpg
Nov 8, 2021
Depends on your workload.
If you regularly use high cpu intensity workloads, then put i3 back, until you have your new cpu cooler.
Or you can limit cpu frequency to 3Ghz (or lower) in BIOS.

What cpu cooler did you order BTW?
Thanks for your reply I do android programing and gaming which I think will be considered heavy workload so I should put i3 back or set i5 to 3 GHz but I think frequency settings in bios are all locked maybe because its not a ix-xxxx(k) CPU? And the cooler is Green Notus-200 air cooler (125w tdp)

I think frequency settings in bios are all locked maybe because its not a ix-xxxx(k) CPU?
Lowering cpu operating frequency is standard functionality (required for Enhanced Intel Speed-step Technology (EIST) to work).
Unless you disabled EIST in BIOS, these options should be available.

And the cooler is Green Notus-200 air cooler (125w tdp)
This one? It should be perfectly capable of cooling your cpu.

Notus200_PWM_9.jpg

Reactions: Abolfazl SM
Solution

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
I have used a 2500 with stock cooler with copper and i could tell you that mine idles at 60C , 85 to 92C max then it throttles a bit. You will hear a jet engine flew by. But dont worry even throttled the perf isnt noticable lower

Then i got cm212, max temp is 60C and its more than enough here so i swap a antec 9cm 4 heatpipe cooler a30? And results are same

Nov 8, 2021
I have used a 2500 with stock cooler with copper and i could tell you that mine idles at 60C , 85 to 92C max then it throttles a bit. You will hear a jet engine flew by. But dont worry even throttled the perf isnt noticable lower

Then i got cm212, max temp is 60C and its more than enough here so i swap a antec 9cm 4 heatpipe cooler a30? And results are same
Lol I had the same jet engine sound experience seems my CPU fan was trying to express its presence 🤣. Anyway mine has no copper so cpu gets as hot as hell so thanks to @SkyNetRising 's solution I down clocked my CPU lowering clock ratio from 33 to 25 (now Im getting 2.7GHz) and now the hottest temp while stress testing with stock fan was incredibly 70C and still system is really fast and of course I will increase the clock ratio back to default whenever I get the new cooler.