[SOLVED] Suggestions for basic build for 3D and photo editing

sirhawkeye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
So I'm looking to do a mid-tower build for general 3D rendering (Blender and Unity) and also photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop (latest versions). None of which are for work, all personal stuff.

I'm willing to go either Intel or AMD for the CPU and GPu, but it needs to be at least a 6 core CPU and 4GB for the video card. All programs I looked up will actually run on a modest 4-core system with a 2GB video card but it's slow so I need something a bit faster. I'm currently using a Dell XPS 15 (2018 model) with the Core i5 7300HQ and GeForce GTX 1050 4GB but it's rather slow rendering scenes in Blender (works fine for PS and LR although I need more cores for processing, but it does work fine for LR/PS).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
You need to decide what your budget should be of course. However, I would recommend AMD Ryzen 3600X + Nvidia 2060 + 16GB DDR4 RAM for starters. Build your pc around those and you should be ok.

sirhawkeye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
You need to decide what your budget should be of course. However, I would recommend AMD Ryzen 3600X + Nvidia 2060 + 16GB DDR4 RAM for starters. Build your pc around those and you should be ok.

OK yeah I was thinking something along the lines of a 2060 for the video card. I was looking at the 2600X Ryzen as well, I will definitely be putting 16GB in to start. I think I'm going to say my budget is around $1000 for this...