Question Suggestions for Build

Sep 9, 2024
Hey there,
I've lurked here for quite awhile and am finally getting into building my first pc and was hoping for some input on building it. I really only know bits and pieces about pcs so far but have been wanting to build one for years now and since I'm starting college I decided I should just bite the bullet and do it already. Hopefully making this kind of nice looking aesthetics wise with a white/black theme and maybe some blue rgb action.

So far I've decided on getting :
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case (might change when looking at cases in person)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard: MSI X670E MAG Tomahawk WiFi
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 Series 48GB DDR5 5200 Kit (cpu, motherboard, ram bundle from micro center)
CPU Cooler: considering one of the NZXT liquid coolers (?)
GPU: Still on the fence between a 4070 Ti Super and a 4070 Super

Mostly looking for suggestions/input on my decisions so far as well as what to get for what PSU I should invest in, opinions on my choices, and any other things I should get? I'll be making a trip to Microcenter later today and since I am still a student, any money saving tips are welcome haha. Thanks!

Do you insist on purchasing today from Microcenter and purchasing one of their "bundles"?

As opposed to slowing down a bit and maybe purchasing piece by piece (a la carte) rather than a bundle......maybe next week not today.

Nobody knows the purpose of this PC, nor your max budget.

Sep 9, 2024
Do you insist on purchasing today from Microcenter and purchasing one of their "bundles"?

As opposed to slowing down a bit and maybe purchasing piece by piece (a la carte) rather than a bundle......maybe next week not today.

Nobody knows the purpose of this PC, nor your max budget.
So sorry for not specifying! I'll be using this for some streaming, gaming, video editing, 3d modeling, and schoolwork (art things). I'm not planning on doing any overclocking and don't think I'll need to be doing anything with 4k.

I've been contemplating getting one of micro center's bundles for awhile and whenever comparing it to buying a la carte it seemed better for me so this isn't a super impulsive thing along with some other components, this is just my first time asking about it online. I won't be picking up all the components today, just the cpu bundle and looking at other components in person.

My budget for this is pretty flexible since I've been saving for this for a long time (around 3k but I would like to keep it in the 2k range) and would ideally like this to last me a long time / be upgradable as needed but I do like saving money.

Offhand.....

You may get frowns at the 5200 RAM. I have no idea if Microcenter would let you get faster RAM for a small price increase in the bundle.

You may get more frowns at buying CPU/board/RAM today and nothing else. For all you would know, the board will be DOA and you would never know it until you tried to assemble stuff at some later date. Better to buy it all at once.

If your budget is "flexible", I would think the price advantage to using a bundle would be of relatively little importance. For a 2000 plus dollar PC, how important is saving 100? But for all I know you would save 200. I don't know.

What is your over-riding best reason for that particular CPU?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2024
Offhand.....

You may get frowns at the 5200 RAM. I have no idea if Microcenter would let you get faster RAM for a small price increase in the bundle.

You may get more frowns at buying CPU/board/RAM today and nothing else. For all you would know, the board will be DOA and you would never know it until you tried to assemble stuff at some later date. Better to buy it all at once.

If your budget is "flexible", I would think the price advantage to using a bundle would be of relatively little importance. But maybe the advantage for the total price of the entire PC is 200 rather than 75 dollars. I don't know.

What is your over-riding best reason for that particular CPU?

What is your target range for ALL parts? 1200, 1500, 2000?
Sorry for the tone, I'm not the best at online texting tone! I did not mean any ill by the way I was responding I just wanted to explain my reasoning.

I'll try asking if that ram exchange is doable, and if so would 6000 be alright? Also, thanks for the perspective on the second bit, I failed to consider that happening. The bundle saves me ~200 so I thought it was worth it.

Also, CPU-wise I tend to multitask quite a bit so I figured that the 7950 would be better for me than the 7800 despite the slight gaming difference. Please correct me if the information I gathered for this is wrong!

I appreciate you discussing this with me though, as I'm not super savvy about all this since this will be my first pc ever (I've only ever owned laptops and macs) and all my knowledge is pretty surface level.

Not sure why you are apologizing for your tone? I had not noticed any and took no offense anywhere in this thread. Perhaps you interpreted "offhand" in an alternate meaning? I just meant "off the top of my head".

Yeah, 6000 RAM would relieve the frowning. My understanding is that AMD appreciates faster RAM.

Do you still insist on buying something today...bundle or more than a bundle?

I have no idea what specific bundles are available at your specific Microcenter today. But maybe you are not wedded to a bundle if push comes to shove. Kinda your choice...don't know how price-sensitive you are.

Microcenter generally has good stuff, but clearly they tend to bundle some stuff that is slow to sell or overstocked...maybe 5200 RAM for instance.

Can you rank your uses for the PC in order of importance? Mostly gaming? Mostly not?

On the psu, buy only a quality unit. Likely not the microcenter brand.
Look for a 10 year or better warranty to get good quality.
The incremental cost of 850w vs. 950w is usually not great.
A psu only uses the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Seasonic focus/prime and Corsair rm are good places to start.

I would avoid liquid cooling when a good air cooler will do the job.
aio coolers do not last forever.

Sep 9, 2024
Not sure why you are apologizing for your tone? I had not noticed any and took no offense anywhere in this thread. Perhaps you interpreted "offhand" in an alternate meaning? I just meant "off the top of my head".

Yeah, 6000 RAM would relieve the frowning. My understanding is that AMD appreciates faster RAM.

Do you still insist on buying something today...bundle or more than a bundle?

I have no idea what specific bundles are available at your specific Microcenter today. But maybe you are not wedded to a bundle if push comes to shove. Kinda your choice...don't know how price-sensitive you are.

Microcenter generally has good stuff, but clearly they tend to bundle some stuff that is slow to sell or overstocked...maybe 5200 RAM for instance.

Can you rank your uses for the PC in order of importance? Mostly gaming? Mostly not?
Sorry it seems like I misinterpreted that! Is it alright to be 6000 or is it advised to take a step further and try to get something even faster. I was planning on buying since this is the day I have free to go down there but I could potentially hold off longer and if its vehemently unadvised to get one of the bundles then I can hold off. There's other options for the bundle like 32GB of 6000 ddr5 that I could get, but if faster is better I could just not use the ram from the bundle totally and save ~100 as opposed to 200 haha. For PC priorities I think my art things and video editing things are more important than gaming, especially since I don't play super heavy games. The streaming will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Sep 9, 2024
On the psu, buy only a quality unit. Likely not the microcenter brand.
Look for a 10 year or better warranty to get good quality.
The incremental cost of 850w vs. 950w is usually not great.
A psu only uses the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Seasonic focus/prime and Corsair rm are good places to start.

I would avoid liquid cooling when a good air cooler will do the job.
aio coolers do not last forever.
I'm mostly unsure on what wattage to get since I've read that it's best for the power usage to be under 80%, so would 850 be okay or is it worth it to go higher?

I mostly chose to go with an aio since I was unsure if could get the airflow efficient enough since this is my first build, but what air coolers would you suggest in it's place

Thanks for the input

There are always slight incremental differences as RAM speed goes up, but you can encounter issues if you go too high......without knowing exactly what Microcenter has in stock, I'd say stick with G Skill Flare 6000. That's a good brand/model.

48 GB is often thought of as overkill, but you say you want this build to last a long time, so OK.

We are unable to see all the bundles and general stock at your Microcenter, so it's tough. I'd generally advise you to postpone. Bundles are like streetcars...another one soon comes along. Who's to say you won't like it better? Leaving aside whether 200 dollars on 2000 really entices you.

I would certainly consider air cooling. Consider Thermaltake, Noctua, and Deepcool. 40 or 50 bucks on up. Dual tower design. Probably with 120 mm fans.

You have not even mentioned power supplies. All the more reason to slow down for a few days or a week.

Leaving your GPU choice still up in the air.

Sep 9, 2024
There are always slight incremental differences as RAM speed goes up, but you can encounter issues if you go too high......without knowing exactly what Microcenter has in stock, I'd say stick with G Skill Flare 6000. That's a good brand/model.

48 GB is often thought of as overkill, but you say you want this build to last a long time, so OK.

We are unable to see all the bundles and general stock at your Microcenter, so it's tough. I'd generally advise you to postpone. Bundles are like streetcars...another one soon comes along. Who's to say you won't like it better? Leaving aside whether 200 dollars on 2000 really entices you.

I would certainly consider air cooling. Consider Thermaltake, Noctua, and Deepcool. 40 or 50 bucks on up. Dual tower design. Probably with 120 mm fans.

You have not even mentioned power supplies. All the more reason to slow down for a few days or a week.

Leaving your GPU choice still up in the air.
Thanks for the help sorting out RAM, I appreciate it.
Honestly I mostly came here for advice on PSU's and help deciding between GPUs but the Microcenter I'll be going to is the one in Tustin, CA so you can check out what they have if you would like.