Question Suggestions for RAM upgrade for my old PC ?

Aug 15, 2023
Hello,

I want to upgrade my RAM to at least 16GB.

My current PC setup:
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel Z68
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K
GPU: ASUS STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
RAM: Corsair 8GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Vengeance
PSU: Fortron Black Power 650W

I searched for a bit and found out that I can only use DDR3 RAMS (which are old now), does any other parameter matter or do I just buy 2 x 8GB DDR3 RAM ?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Oh yes, that set should work--but it's Cas10 while your old set was the fastest Jedec spec of Cas8 at 1600MHz.

Their CML16GX3M2A1600C9 is closer at Cas9 and is the same height. They don't seem to carry a Cas8 version any more but that's OK as your memory timings will just drop to 9-9-9-24 at 1600MHz which your old set should also run at.

With heatspreaders it's impossible to see the number of chips in pictures, so you have to rely on their compatibility claims and both sets do list compatibility with your Z68 chipset on their website.
Sandy Bridge only supports low-density 4 Gbit DDR3 chips so any 8GB sticks must each have 16 chips on them to work. It's been too many years since any sticks on the QVL have been available so just look for Sandy/Ivy Bridge compatibility or low-density.

On the bright side, back then memory controllers weren't too sensitive so there's a pretty good chance you could also use your old 2x4GB kit with them for 24GB total.

Aug 15, 2023
Thank you for the information.
So for example: Corsair Memory Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP Dual Channel Desktop (CML16GX3M2A1600C10) would be compatible?

I found out that they are "compatible with Intel and AMD dual channel DDR3 Platforms, including 2nd and 3rd generation Intel Core i7 and i5 systems", but could not verify how many chips on each there are.

Thanks!

Oh yes, that set should work--but it's Cas10 while your old set was the fastest Jedec spec of Cas8 at 1600MHz.

Their CML16GX3M2A1600C9 is closer at Cas9 and is the same height. They don't seem to carry a Cas8 version any more but that's OK as your memory timings will just drop to 9-9-9-24 at 1600MHz which your old set should also run at.

With heatspreaders it's impossible to see the number of chips in pictures, so you have to rely on their compatibility claims and both sets do list compatibility with your Z68 chipset on their website.

Reactions: Askari1000
Solution

I always get 2 sets and run 32Gb's your system will seem like a whole new rig. And FYI I do have that same motherboard. Nothing fancy about the memory but old system = about a $35.00 investment and your good to go.

In these older systems the memory is not as picky matching sets like new Ryzen system are today.

TRENDING THREADS