[SOLVED] Suggestions on building a new PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 21, 2022
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG274QRF 1440P (I bought it already)
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AS500 Plus
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
Memory: 2 x 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 DDR4 Memory White (BL16G32C16U4W)
Storage: My old SATA SSDs and a HDD, will buy an NVMe SSD when required
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Black - Type C RGB Case
Video Card: I'll upgrade to a next gen GPU (that performs somewhere around an RTX 3080) when it's available around MSRP, I'll wait a year or two if I have to, I don't want to buy overpriced GPUs that are not worth their price. I have an old GTX 760 which I undervolted and power limited (to 75 Watts) with a modified bios. I did this to prevent it from overheating since the fans stopped working since last year . It performs slightly slower than a GT 740 (based on some benchmarks I saw online). I think I'll be better off using the integrated graphics on the i7-12700. I have a huge backlog of older games that would work fine even with integrated graphics, so I'll play them until I get a new GPU.
Power Supply: ADATA XPG Core Reactor 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold or Asus ROG Strix 650W PSU
UPS: APC Easy UPS BVX1200LI-IN 1200VA / 650W, 230V
A note regarding Power Supply and UPS: APC UPS with a higher wattage (900W) rating cost twice as much, so I decided to go with a 650W Power supply and 650W UPS. The power outlet is connected to the Home UPS, but i like to use my PC with a separate UPS to prevent any voltage fluctuations.
I'd prefer to buy a 650W power supply and run the i7-12700 CPU with PL2 (power limit) of 140W if the PSU is inadequate when PL2 is set to 180 Watts. I'd pair the CPU with a next gen GPU that has a TDP of 300 Watts or lower (The RTX 3080 has a TDP of 320W, so the next gen GPU that has a similar level of performance will have a lower TDP).

What are your suggestions? Will I face any compatibility issues with this build? Is there anything that I have to change?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Your temperatures are very good.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 100c.
Oct 2, 2021
Last edited:
Reactions: TwoStarPie
Apr 21, 2022
plz have a look at cpu bending/warping issue for lga 1700(more pronounced than previous generations) if u plan to use said pc for a long time.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...warping-and-bending-issues-mods-void-warranty

https://www.caseking.de/en/Thermal-...U-Contact-Frame-FSD8-036.html?tplview=desktop
I've got the PC assembled and running, I'm not sure about the long term impact of the bending/warping issue, I guess it might vary depending on the model of the motherboard and CPU cooler used, I hope I don't have that problem down the road.

Oct 2, 2021
I've got the PC assembled and running, I'm not sure about the long term impact of the bending/warping issue, I guess it might vary depending on the model of the motherboard and CPU cooler used, I hope I don't have that problem down the road.

hoping for the same...but I advise you to buy that bracket or Thermalright’s Bending Correction Frame
Better to be safe than sorry

Apr 21, 2022
Intel suggests that such modifications may void your warranty.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Yes, as long as it only affects the temperature to a maximum of about 5 degrees and not to any significant amount that it reduces the capability of the CPU to turbo boost at stock speeds and as long as it doesn't cause any components to break in the future, I won't worry as much.

As of now, the i7-12700 with the Noctua NH-D15 (with a single Fan installed) stays within 25 to 30 degree Celsius on idle and mostly stays the same during light usage like web browsing, I saw a max temperature of 52 degrees while gaming using the integrated GPU (the games include GTA V, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Age of Empires IV), I haven't tested it with a dedicated GPU. I used "RealTemp" to check the temperatures.

I ran some tests:
76 degrees max temperature on Cinebench R23 multi core test, Score: 21845
83 degrees peak temperature when running Prime95 for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenix_007
Apr 21, 2022
Your temperatures are very good.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 100c.
Yes, I'm glad I followed your advice and bought the Noctua cooler, I did get the LGA 1700 mounting hardware included in the box.
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021

hoping for the same...but I advise you to buy that bracket or Thermalright’s Bending Correction Frame

Intel suggests that such modifications may void your warranty.
Better to be safe than sorry.

intel won’t know if you use it..they are just avoiding bad press...it is a real issue and is affecting many users...using bending correction frame is the safest option out there...washer mod won’t provide long term solution..let’s hope OP will not need any such measures🙏🏻🙏🏻...i just want OP to be careful of this issue and to keep tracking temperatures every now and then...

Apr 21, 2022

intel won’t know if you use it..they are just avoiding bad press...it is a real issue and is affecting many users...using bending correction frame is the safest option out there...washer mod won’t provide long term solution..let’s hope OP will not need any such measures🙏🏻🙏🏻...i just want OP to be careful of this issue and to keep tracking temperatures every now and then...
The shipping charges for the frame costs six times more than the price of the frame, it doesn't seem to be available in local online retailers.

I'm not sure about the long term impact of the issue as there are many varied opinions about it on the internet, I'll make sure to keep track of the temperatures every now and then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenix_007

TRENDING THREADS