Sun Was Shopped Around the Valley, Says Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I am fine with the merger, though IBM is withdrawing more or less from the hardware business and to some degree that's probably spells doom for Sun's hardware. Nevertheless, I think IBM kept the server business and software like Java fits right in IBM's portfolio. Is it going to stay free, very likely, but also that there may be a not-for-free commercial version sometime down the road.

More concern in this economy is IBM's new business model of cutting cost by exporting as many American jobs a possible (just recent news had another 5,000 layoffs in the US to move to "emerging markets"). They appear to make profit that way (which is never bad for a company).

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I like Sun and their support for the Open Source community. I have a strong feeling that if IBM took over Sun that we'd see a drastic decline in free open source software and support and IBM would find a way to turn it into a revenue stream which would in effect kill the whole thing.

G

It would be good for IBM to own Sun. Then Sun would have no reason to fund open source (which is done to mess up their enemies by some kids in basements ripping off IP).

Who knows, maybe we'll actually see a Java Server OS if this happens.

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I think IBM just wants to purchase SUN cheap, as described in the article. I don't think there would be any impact on open source, since IBM also supports it (eclipse for example).

cadman252

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I have reservation on a possible Sun-IBM merger. IBM didn't handled some of their past mergers well. Past botched mergers include software companies with good software, a decent customer/user base(AmiPro, Lotus 123, etc.), only to mismanage the merger and loose their customer base and market share to Microsoft.

jstrode

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Quote "though IBM is withdrawing more or less from the hardware business and to some degree that's probably spells doom for Sun's hardware."

IBM Cell processors are in full swing and power most current consoles, as well as their server line. No one, and least of all Intel, believes that IBM is "getting out" of the hardware business. I also guarantee that the way of the sparc is lost forever if this happens.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Isn't Sun the company that is working on Photon powered CPU's that apparently pump out 400-1000x more power then todays CPU's?

o0 zeno 0o

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I'm beyond worried... If IBM acquires Sun, how will I ever be able to properly explain what the Solaris tattoo on my pastie white derriere is all about?

Let's face it, AIX is a pain. Mainframes are dead, why do I have to be reminded of the awkwardness of them every time I have to log into a p570? Not to mention the reliability vs Sun is horrendous. You spend all your days doing firmware upgrades, just to spend weeks on the phone with clunky IBM support to tell you "Oh yeah.. now that we think of it, just ignore that error.

I would love to see Google buy Sun. I can't really think of anyone who I would like to see buy Sun. Fugitsu would be one possibility I guess. I just hate to see all these great things come out of Solaris 10 (zfs, zone cbvm's) just for the company to crash and burn.

o0 zeno 0o

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]So what? Sun was dying a slow death anyways over the last few years and the reality of java has never lived up to its promise (and never will, IMHO).[/citation]
Are you insane? I loath java, but have the crap you use probably uses it. Even in the enterprise, you have apps like Oracle Application Server that run out of Java containers.

If by "dying a slow death" you mean the stock was declining, then fine... But more amazing things have come out of Sun in the past 5 years than have come out of IBM.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
It will be interesting if Apple to buys Sun. It has lots of cash in hand and has not laid off a single soul. Mac OS X Server will definitely soon run on Sparc hardware and carry ZFS file system. I have not really understood what benefit it will offer over HFS+ but at the moment many experts praise ZFS.

Perhaps Solaris users will be left behind though since "the Steve" will definitely put an end to it in favor of Mac OS X. Unless he's out his mind, there is a slight chance that future release of Mac OS X will be based on Solaris.

But again, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.