[SOLVED] Super Flower Leadex III - Lack of VGA connectors?

I was super excited to find that Super Flower is finally starting to selling a few of their PSU models here in the United States. I've been purchasing their EVGA G2/P2/T2 units for the past five years. However, I noticed that the Super Flower Leadex III 750 and 850 watt models only come with two and three VGA connectors respectively. For example, a EVGA P2 750 comes with 4 VGA sockets on the PSU, whereas the Super Flower Leadex III 750 only has 2 VGA sockets. Back in 2015, I ran two 980 Ti's in SLI with a EVGA P2 850, and utilized all four sockets with four 8 pin PCie cable; two cables per GPU. I'm simply surprised by their lack of connectors.

Please please please, do not respond to this forum posting with a rant about how SLI is dead. Canned comments like that aren't helpful, and I honestly don't want to hear it.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
When the EVGA G2/P2/T2 were released, SLI setups were a lot more popular than nowadays.

Usually the cards that require a triple 8 pin power connector are custom PCB versions of GPUs intended for extreme overclocking.
I haven't really seen a standard PCB GPU with triple 8 pin power connectors.

Even the monstrous R9 295X2 doesn't require triple 8 pin connectors even though it's made out of two full fledged R9 290X GPUs... which will draw a huge amount of power.
PCBB.jpg

If you look it up, newer 750W units will have a simillar connector config... below is a shot of the Corsair RM750x modular connectors:
DSC_2677.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
I was super excited to find that Super Flower is finally starting to selling a few of their PSU models here in the United States. I've been purchasing their EVGA G2/P2/T2 units for the past five years. However, I noticed that the Super Flower Leadex III 750 and 850 watt models only come with two and three VGA ports respectively. For example, a EVGA P2 750 comes with 4 VGA sockets on the PSU, whereas the Super Flower Leadex III 750 only has 2 VGA sockets. Back in 2015, I ran two 980 Ti's in SLI with a EVGA P2 850, and utilized all four sockets with four 8 pin PCie cable; two cables per GPU. I'm simply surprised by their lack of connectors.

Please please please, do not respond to this forum posting with a rant about how SLI is dead. Canned comments like that aren't helpful, and I honestly don't want to hear it.

Thank you.
You may not want to hear it, but it is relevant to the discussion. Multi-GPU builds are the exception rather than the rule. If 95% of the purchasers can be satisfied by 2 PCIe power plugs, then the company has to decide if the extra cost is justified. In this case, it appears the answer is no.

Lutfij

Titan
For the record it's referred to PCIe power connectors not VGA ports. The latter pertains to the display output port found on GPU's(and inputs for displays).

If the PSU lacks the necessary connectors for all your components, it's not the unit for you. Also, you might want to consider the single most powerful GPU your wallet can afford, SLI is now more like SLWhy.

kanewolf

Titan
Lutfij I've swapped the word "connector" for "port". Thanks.

kanewolf / Lutfij Another reason that I find Super Flower's choice to only have two 8-pin PCIe connectors on the 750 watt model to be quite odd, is because there are existing graphics cards that require three connectors.
The pictures shown in this review of the 850 -- https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-850-w/ show that each of the PCIe power cords has two 8 pin plugs. As long as the wire is sized appropriately, you still have effectively four 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

When the EVGA G2/P2/T2 were released, SLI setups were a lot more popular than nowadays.

Usually the cards that require a triple 8 pin power connector are custom PCB versions of GPUs intended for extreme overclocking.
I haven't really seen a standard PCB GPU with triple 8 pin power connectors.

Even the monstrous R9 295X2 doesn't require triple 8 pin connectors even though it's made out of two full fledged R9 290X GPUs... which will draw a huge amount of power.
PCBB.jpg

If you look it up, newer 750W units will have a simillar connector config... below is a shot of the Corsair RM750x modular connectors:
DSC_2677.jpg

Though out of those 8pin on the modular board, on the Corsair there are 2 8pin PCIe connectors for a total of 4:
DSC_2670.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Don't be surprised 6 X 8 pin connectors is more than most users need.

Their also should be a watt limit inthe manual for each cable depending on wire gauge and length. My Seasonic said 225 watts for each cable. It came with 2 cables with 2 X 6+2 pins on each cable.

Fairly simple if the design doesn't meet your needs don't buy it.

4 x 8 Pin connectors on the leadex gold 650/750/850w running off twin cables on 2 modular sockets.

Thats enough for 600w of gpu power requirements so I'm not sure why you'd consider it not enough?

To max that kind of power even the 850w would be on the dubious side, you'd be looking at a 1000w+ PSU in reality for any kind of headroom.