Super IO Initialization

OKTowelie

Reputable
May 24, 2014
On Wednesday I finished my first computer build. I have added individual parts to other builds before but I have never started from scratch and I have never installed a motherboard or CPU. When I finished the build I was given a 99 (Super IO Initialization) Error by the motherboard and I received no BIOS beep. In addition to this the BOOT_DEVICE LEDS is lit red.

I have tried rewiring my system and changing the slots in which I put the RAM sticks. and I still see the same error.

my question is that, where I connect the PSU to the MOBO for the CPU to receive power from the PSU, there is an 8-pin connector where as the power cable that i recieved was an 8-pin connector for the PSU that splits into 2x4-pin connectors for the MOBO. The manual for the MOBO says to connect either an 8-pin connector to the MOBO or a 4-pin. I am currently using 1 single 4pin connector (because I do not have an 8pin) should I try to use both of the 2 4-pin connectors instead of just one?

CPU - i7-6700k
MOBO - ASUS Z170 DELUXE
PSU - Corsair AX760

Solution
Yes, if you have an 8pin header on the board (or two individual 4pins - sometimes they are separate), you need to populate both.

The connector is split that way for this reason;
If your board requires a 4 pin, use only one
If your board requires 2 individual 4 pins, you can use that
If your board required an 8 pin connector, you can use both the 4pins together to populate.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, if you have an 8pin header on the board (or two individual 4pins - sometimes they are separate), you need to populate both.

The connector is split that way for this reason;
If your board requires a 4 pin, use only one
If your board requires 2 individual 4 pins, you can use that
If your board required an 8 pin connector, you can use both the 4pins together to populate.

Solution