News Super PCIe 5.0 SSD RAID hits 42 GBps — four Crucial T700 drives actively cooled by AirJet Mini technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of application that interests me the most regarding the current AirJet systems. The new "Thermoception" capability in the slim version should make it possible to have a generic SSD cooler that hooks up to a fan header. While that's not ideal I'd rather deal with figuring out cable wiring than dealing with the size of a large SSD cooler.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
This is the type of application that interests me the most regarding the current AirJet systems. The new "Thermoception" capability in the slim version should make it possible to have a generic SSD cooler that hooks up to a fan header. While that's not ideal I'd rather deal with figuring out cable wiring than dealing with the size of a large SSD cooler.
Right?! Exactly what I was thinking. The size of the active coolers can be ridiculous, that's for sure

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to Frore Systems, AirJet Mini only sips 1W of power, making it an excellent thermal solution for compact devices like laptops, SSDs, or mini-PCs. The AirJet Mini cooler could keep the T700's operating temperatures within check during full load. Micron registered two drives at 76 degrees Celsius and the other at 78 degrees Celsius. That's pretty impressive since our tests showed that while the T700 has an average power draw of 7.14W, the drive can pulled up to 11.89W when pushed to the limit.
First, how much power does a mini fan use?

Second, you're talking about adding 2 W of power for cooling an M.2 drive (since each appears to have 2x Airjet Minis on it) that uses up to 12 W? That doesn't seem terribly efficient.

First, how much power does a mini fan use?
They use a blower style fan in these usually so I'd guess somewhere in the 2-3W range (I couldn't find the model Gigabyte or Asus use nor any pics of the label).
Second, you're talking about adding 2 W of power for cooling an M.2 drive (since each appears to have 2x Airjet Minis on it) that uses up to 12 W? That doesn't seem terribly efficient.
It's 1:1 4x AirJet Mini for 4x drives.

kb7rky

Prominent
May 11, 2023
It isn't often that any business in my home state gets a mention like this...then again, Micron has been on the leading edge of computing for years.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It isn't often that any business in my home state gets a mention like this...
I guess you mean Idaho, where Micron was founded? Is that anywhere near Youdapimp, ID?
: D

I think Micron stays in the tech news a fair amount. I used to prefer Crucial SSDs, for a long time. I would still pay a little more for RAM with Micron chips, just because it's the last US-based DRAM maker.

BTW, "Frore Systems is headquartered in San Jose, CA with an office and manufacturing facility in Taiwan."

Reactions: kb7rky

kb7rky

Prominent
May 11, 2023
I guess you mean Idaho, where Micron was founded? Is that anywhere near Youdapimp, ID?
: D

I think Micron stays in the tech news a fair amount. I used to prefer Crucial SSDs, for a long time. I would still pay a little more for RAM with Micron chips, just because it's the last US-based DRAM maker.

BTW, "Frore Systems is headquartered in San Jose, CA with an office and manufacturing facility in Taiwan."
Yep...Nampa (where Micron/Crucial is located) is about 300 miles south of my hometown (Lewiston). Been hearing about how good Micron is for at least thirty years. One of my amateur radio friends used to literally gush about how good they were (may that silent key rest well). I've also got all-Micron RAM and SSDs in all my computers, and have never had any issues at all...now that I can afford their products ;) Yeah, their components are spendy...but well worth every penny.

/also, I see what you did there :sneaky:

Reactions: bit_user

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
If what they are offering has superior cooling, compactness, and other aspects, adding a bit to the power consumption may be worth it, especially for systems that are plugged in to the wall. It might not be a good sign for AirJet in laptops or smartphones.

Hopefully independent reviewers get to the bottom of Frore's AirJet claims, and AirJet can actually improve with subsequent generations. They claimed in an interview that it can scale with newer process nodes.

SampsonJackson

Reputable
Mar 2, 2020
If it's using a modified Gigabyte Gen5 AIC adaptor, then it's for HEDT or server mobos only.

It's not something you can slap into any desktop mobo and expect it to work.
These x16 > 4x4 bifurcation cards are also supported on most AM4 and AM5 desktop boards. AMD AGESA includes native support and implementation is up to the motherboard vendor. It also supports x8x4x4 mode, so it's fairly flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.