[SOLVED] Super Slow USB 3.1 Gen 1 write speed

Jan 9, 2021
Hello. I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 5502 Laptop. It has a 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive. USB port I'm using is a USB 3.2 Gen 1.

I am transferring documents from this new laptop to a Sandisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Gen 1 flash drive. I just bought this flash drive because....3.1 gen 1. Super fast right??

WRONG!

The write speed to the flash drive is VERY frequently BELOW 1 Mb/s. Yes that's right, we're talking Kb/s speeds. I've seen the speed go to literally zero, and sit for for a few seconds.

The max speed I've seen the transfer go up to is about 25 Mb/s. but most of the time it's in the low single digit Mb, or below 1 Mb.

I have set the policy of the USB flash drive to "better performance"

I will try my External Hard drive 3.0 next and see if that is just as slow, but what the heck?

thanks

Fred

1LsaKrz.jpg

Cheap usb drives usually have a poor property of having only a small number of files that can be transfered per time unit. So it doesn't matter if it have USB3 or if the manufacturer claim it to have 80MB/s write speed - that only applies to very big files.

Hard drives have it's own buffer and suffer less from this issue.

Jan 9, 2021
Cheap usb drives usually have a poor property of having only a small number of files that can be transfered per time unit. So it doesn't matter if it have USB3 or if the manufacturer claim it to have 80MB/s write speed - that only applies to very big files.

Hard drives have it's own buffer and suffer less from this issue.

thanks,didn't know that about the large files. I don't think I have any large files in my documents. (no full lenth movies etc.)

I noticed the read speed from flash drive can hit 130 Mb/s so I guess that's good enough (flash drive states speeds up to 150 Mb/s read)

I also reformatted the flash drive to NTBS rather than the default FAT32 which I understand is better for performance (with Windows 10)

But I was still expecting much faster write speeds.

Jan 9, 2021
coping small files?

I'm not sure what qualifies as a large file, but yes, I'm sure I have almost all small files. These are my Documents from 10+ years. Some 1080p camcorder videos. But no full length HD movies

again the read speed hit a high of about 130 Mb/s so I guess it's still faster than a USB 2.0. My expectations were very high. Never heard about the small-file speed limitation thing. I mean I'm watching the transfer speed sitting at 150 Kb/s. Small files or not WTH?

This laptop has a USB 3.2 Gen 2 type C port. Speeds up to 10Gb/s transfer speed (so say the specs). But if all I have is small files, what the heck does it matter? lol.

Last edited: