Super Talent 2 TB SSDs Coming Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
$5000, an arm, leg, three pay checks and a months worth of food. Awesome, I'll plan my fasting so I can get my new SSD.....when will we finally see acceptable storage, SSD, and reasonable price in the same sentence, when you get that, I'm all ears.

SlyMaelstrom

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Homeboy2[/nom]duh, this isn't a home pc product[/citation]
I'm pretty sure the "Gamer" version that costs $5000 is a home product. There isn't really a huge pro-gamer market out there. I don't see much sense in having these in anything but an enterprise server... the through-put is just extreme overkill for any small amount of users, let alone just one.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
There were times when 1GB HDDs cost several thousand dollars.
Step 1: Mass production.
Step 2: Significant market penetration
Step 3: Intense competition
Step 4: Drop one of these babies in my rig.

Remember how much LCD TVs were just 3 years ago?

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I'd be interested to see this up against $5000 worth of regular 2.5" SSDs and a PCIe controller.

I'm gunna bet on the DIY winning, as usual...

G

Good Lord!

I'd love to get my hands on a 2 TB model, but sadly, even the 1 TB model is beyond my reach. :(

But even worse is I know of a large group of people nearby who wouldn't think twice of "Asking Daddy" for the money to buy one of these SSD drives. A nearby college where rich people from all over the world send their kids. These kids don't think twice about throwing expensive stuff out when simple things go wrong instead of getting them fixed. Or when they leave for summer vacation, they just give stuff away and buy new stuff when they get back.

Not all are like this, but enough of them are.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
they should interview the maker of the product and the moment they mention the price, slap them as fast as you can and sit back down and act like nothing happened, and say something like "sorry about that, what were we talking about again,... oh yea pricing, what was the price for the product?"

then if they try to say the price of 4999 again, slap them again, then say "oops sorry, I thought you said $4999"

the maker of the product will then finally say "sorry, you must have been mistaken, I said the product will be selling for $49.99"

then the entire tech community will thank you

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As of this time, who buy this unit:
People who need it and have money to spend.
People who want it and do whatever to find a way to get it.
People who has money and not affriad to spent it.

Who can't:
Me, the bum down the street and millions of others.

Maybe after 15 year I'd be able to afford this on my Intel Hextium Processor. :)

G

Supertalent is known for one of the first companies bringing SSD drives at affordable prices.
The problem is that those drives where so slow, that they had more returns, then sales of their drives.

I hope these drive are a little better then their first MLC drives.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
just like every other technology this is going to become affordable and ubiquitous at some point, How long is that going to take? I don't know I am not Psychic man!

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
"1 TB Gamers version will cost $4999"

I would hardly call this a product for a gamer. If they REALLY want to saturate the market for gamers they would drop the drive space to around 100 GB and sell the product at a lower price.

The ioXtreme is an 80GB drive for $900. Granted it's not quite as fast, it does have a somewhat reasonable price tag.

http://www.fusionio.com/ioxtreme/

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]wow $4999 for a tb of storage in a ssd for gamers?what?I thought most gamers don't spend over 1500 dollars on a rig[/citation]

That's for gamers who work for Goldman Sachs (which owns the USA), not average ones.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
For that price, I'd rather go for a quad socket LGA 1336 board...
Dual soc ket 18 dim boards are already on the market, along with $100/gig 4GB DDR3 DIMMs... allowing 64GB of RAM.
A quad socket with 9 DIMMs per CPU would allow 128GB of RAM...
4 i7 920s = $800
128GB of DDR3 (4GB dimms) = ~10,000
Quad socket, mobo andf others = ~1000

So, about $12,000 theoretical for 32 logical cores, and 128GB of DDR3 RAMDISK... I'd rather that...

Status
Not open for further replies.