Super Talent Claims Its SSDs Can Rock Intel's

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
actually, because of the indilinx controllers, the newer ocz/g.skill ssd's are way faster than intel's drives at read speeds, enough to justify the small speed increase the intel's have on write

Intels first gen still kicks ass, and as for other brands being quicker, dont care i dont trust them compared to Intel who knows what to do with sillicon etc, and this is the same reason no other company tries to make hdd's like WD, Seagate etc - who would you trust? a company that has been doing it for years, or an amateur company? Ill stick with Intel here.

mirkos

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Having a 10%-20% speedup would be nice! But having a -50% drop on the price would be nicer! :) What's the point on reading for faster SSD when you can't buy them?

The good thing is that competition due to new models/technology and more companies in the market will eventually force for lower prices!

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
NEWS FLASH! Marketing guy at one company claims next product will be better than other companies current product... First time we've ever heard this claim from a marketing group... article submission date: June 4, 4000 BC.

BorisChechev

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
SSD technology is evolving so quickly that today's stuff is outdated by tomorrow. Some company is going to make a great, inexpensive SSD and come out on top. And make a bundle of cash too.

rdupuy

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I agree totally. SuperTalent can put out a marketing message, and if past history is any indication, they've tweaked sequential read speeds, which is not going to make a big difference for everyday use.

Where Intel owns the market, is its ability to perform real workloads, i.e. mixtures of small random reads and writes at the same time.

This article touches on the fact that SuperTalent once before sold JMicron based drives that had horrible performance, but it doesn't really make it clear that they've made performance claims before, about drives that were very disappointing.

Yes, you should hold off judgement. Until you get the drive in and test it, there is just nothing newsworthy yet. Indilinx drives do not perform as well as Intel's...let me be clear, not even close.
And SuperTalent is not a company that has shown engineering skill, they resell SSDs other people make, usually very close to the reference design...and then market, market, market.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
We'll have to see if talent can back up their claim. Somehow i get the feelings its just a marketing ploy...i could be wrong.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
As much as I LOVE my Intel proc, I hope that with some aggressive competition, somebody can beat Intel's SSD's not just for the consumer's sake, but for better SSD's in general. The longer time that goes by with Intel sitting on top, the more they're going to get fat and it's all going to go to their heads.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I love Intel, don't get me wrong.
But I want these to completely smoke Intel.
(Though also for Intel to quickly pull something out that taxes SATA 3.0 bandwidth to compete, because I'd rather use Intel, and that would be awesome.)
Innovation and competition makes the world go round. :)

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Intels first gen still kicks ass, and as for other brands being quicker, dont care i dont trust them compared to Intel who knows what to do with sillicon etc, and this is the same reason no other company tries to make hdd's like WD, Seagate etc - who would you trust? a company that has been doing it for years, or an amateur company? Ill stick with Intel here.[/citation]

Lol. Intel had the edge at first because of their vast knowledge and experience with storage controller tech. They really had a leg-up in the performance sector of SSD's and they brought some ideas that also made their drives more reliable and durable against heavy use than other brands as well.

But if there's one underdog I like to see gunning for a fight, it's Super Talent. Even though they are a relatively young company, they sure have been making some killer budget/mainstream memory technology products. I've got a Pico 8GB flash drive that rivals some of the best 4GB flash drives for read speeds, and is the tiniest flash drive I've ever owned, all in a nice-looking metallic shell. And it was CHEAP. I also know their RAM for PCs is solid.

Go Super Talent! I like Intel, too, but competition is the best thing in the world for consumers.

[citation][nom]TheZander[/nom]Lol. Intel had the edge at first because of their vast knowledge and experience with storage controller tech. They really had a leg-up in the performance sector of SSD's and they brought some ideas that also made their drives more reliable and durable against heavy use than other brands as well. But if there's one underdog I like to see gunning for a fight, it's Super Talent. Even though they are a relatively young company, they sure have been making some killer budget/mainstream memory technology products. I've got a Pico 8GB flash drive that rivals some of the best 4GB flash drives for read speeds, and is the tiniest flash drive I've ever owned, all in a nice-looking metallic shell. And it was CHEAP. I also know their RAM for PCs is solid. Go Super Talent! I like Intel, too, but competition is the best thing in the world for consumers.[/citation]

Cant complain about competition but we are talking reliability in terms of read/write and long term etc - intel can do it, not so sure and im sus at the competition with reguards to that etc, im sure there products are ok but yeah.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Say, what if we had ONE company to make all things great on earth?!
Mobos, CPUs, RAM, HDDs/SSDs, TVs, Cars, Planes, Tanks, hek, throw in even some candy bars for good measure!

Sheesh, fanboys make me sick!!!

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
One company would ruin everything , there would be no competitive pricing everything would inflate and it would be jsut like those future movies where the company even has control over the government and the people.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Good, it means your head is in the right place, mate! Unlike so many others'.
Pardon my rant, but ignorance is really getting on my nerves.

That said, let companies bring their new tech to the table - this is the only thing that would drive progress. And I do believe there's a bright future for SSDs. My next upgrade would probably include them - If only this damn crisis would subside...

Remember how the early era of 3D was dominated by one company? And where are they now? This is a whole new segment, in which an upstart, underdog, has the chance to "do it right". So yes, I'm excited about these news. What I'd love more though are real-world benchmarks.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Real world Benchmarks are nice. :3 What I want though is just a SSD that can run 3-4 times faster then a HDD and last as long or twice as long at least with NO problems what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.