Supermicro Shows Off 80-Core Xeon Server

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks the facts in this article are presented in a bit of a disconnected fashion? I mean, they talk about a backplane with 4 slots, each capable of supporting 2 CPUs w/ 10 cores a piece (4 * 2 * 10 = 80). But then they talk about the Westmere EX E7-8800 series chipsets being able to support 8 cores each. So why don't they use modules with the 8-socket chipset instead of the 2-socket chipset for a total of 320 (4 * 8 * 10 = 320) cores? I mean, as long as they're going to support a lot of cores, why not go whole-hog?

Or does the backplane already use the 8800 chipset, and that's how they support 8 CPUs now?

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]For 2800 watts the PSU looks kinda puny.[/citation]

Most Supermicro servers use big mean tough power supplies. I would guess from the maroon release tabs on the back of those two structures in the middle, they are the power supplies and it just uses a modular system. Notice how next to them are fan inlets, it appears designed for up to four power units. I would wager that is their power supply redundancy system in those.

Supermicro's blade chasis use big 1400w / 2000w PSUs, and can take up to four. Imagine having 8000W at your disposal?

quixilver1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmotion[/nom]Thanks for asking the pseudo relevant question lol[/citation]
Flattery will get you everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.