Question Supermicro X11 - Noctua fans (NF-P12) are running at a constant and lower RPM than recommended ?

Krish2020

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Hello, I recently upgraded my fans to 2x Noctua NF-P12 intake (1300RPM) and 1x NF-P14s exhaust (1500RPM) for better noise reduction. Initially, the fan rotated at very high and low speeds making loud burst of noise. I searched online and looks like it has been a known issue. As suggested, I updated the threshold values using IPMItool CLI. I also set the “Fan Mode” under IPMI web management to “Standard” and reset BMC after applying the changes. This resolved the random fan movement issues and alerts. However, the CPU temperature now is around 49 degrees, which used to be 35 to 39 degrees with the previous fans. I am using Supermicro X11SCL-F motherboard.

Can someone kindly clarify with the following questions:

1. Why the FAN2 and FAN3 (NF-P12) are constantly running at 200 RPM, lower than the recommended 300 RPM? No matter what thresholds I set (below or above recommended RPM), the fans run at the same RPM. Please see the screenshots below.
  2. The "Fan Mode" doesn't appear to have any effect on the RPM, except "Full Speed" settings.
  3. Are there any settings in the IPMI or BIOS to run fans at the recommended or slightly higher RPM to improve cooling effects?
Fan reading - higher threshold Fan reading - lower threshold

teutoniswolf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Are you thinking of using the BIOS to control your fans? I am familiar with ASUS and GIGABYTE boards but I will look up what I can to help you. ASUS, for example, has an EZ Tuning Wizard utility tool and other tools in the BIOS that I use to custom configure my fan speeds.

Krish2020

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Are you thinking of using the BIOS to control your fans? I am familiar with ASUS and GIGABYTE boards but I will look up what I can to help you. ASUS, for example, has an EZ Tuning Wizard utility tool and other tools in the BIOS that I use to custom configure my fan speeds.
Hi, thanks for your comment. I used impitool to change the thresholds and set fan mode in the ipmi web, which I believe is similar to updating it in BIOS. It appears that Supermicro may have a default fan curve and requires some custom BIOS settings to make it work. They weren't very helpful in resolving this issue. Would be great to get some suggestions who have figured out some workaround.