Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, i see supported memories by AMD Ryzen™ 5 7600 cpu as follows -
2x1R DDR5-5200
2x2R DDR5-5200
4x1R DDR5-3600
4x2R DDR5-3600.

1. what does 1R,2R etc mean?
2. cant i use 6000mhz ddr5 ram with this cpu or anything more than 5200mhz?
3. do i get performance gain for using rams higher than 5200 mhz?
4. My mobo is ASRock B650E PG Riptide WIFI and official asrock website says it supports up to 6600+(OC). does it mean i can use any 6600mhz ddr5 ram?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, faster memory results in better performance, but while your motherboard might say it supports up to 6600MT/s memory AMD has clearly stated that for the 7000 series platforms 6000MT/s is the highest speed they recommend using with it. I wouldn't bother with anything higher than that.

And no, it does not mean you can use "any 6600mhz ddr5 ram". Memory needs to be validated for a given motherboard if you want any kind of guarantee that it's going to work with it. Sure, technically any DDR5 will be "compatible" and CAN work with any given board, but that doesn't mean it WILL and very often we find it doesn't. That's the WHOLE REASON motherboard manufacturers HAVE a QVL list and why memory manufacturers have their own, much more...
R is for single rank (1R) or dual rank (2R). Explanation of what ranks are can be found at the link below.

Yes, you can use memory kits up to 6000MT/s but you want to be sure that you stick to kits that are shown as compatible by the Crucial memory advisor, G.Skill memory configurator or Corsair memory finder. Other brands don't have extensive memory compatibility lists like those three do so I'd stick to either kits that are on the motherboard QVL list (Which you can find on the motherboard's product support pages) or kits from one of those three brands which shows as being compatible for the motherboard model you choose to go with on their compatibility lists.

Reactions: eziowar

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
R is for single rank (1R) or dual rank (2R). Explanation of what ranks are can be found at the link below.

Yes, you can use memory kits up to 6000MT/s but you want to be sure that you stick to kits that are shown as compatible by the Crucial memory advisor, G.Skill memory configurator or Corsair memory finder. Other brands don't have extensive memory compatibility lists like those three do so I'd stick to either kits that are on the motherboard QVL list (Which you can find on the motherboard's product support pages) or kits from one of those three brands which shows as being compatible for the motherboard model you choose to go with on their compatibility lists.
ty but do i get performance gain for using rams higher than 5200 mhz? My mobo is ASRock B650E PG Riptide WIFI and official asrock website says it supports up to 6600+(OC). does it mean i can use any 6600mhz ddr5 ram?

Last edited:
Yes, faster memory results in better performance, but while your motherboard might say it supports up to 6600MT/s memory AMD has clearly stated that for the 7000 series platforms 6000MT/s is the highest speed they recommend using with it. I wouldn't bother with anything higher than that.

And no, it does not mean you can use "any 6600mhz ddr5 ram". Memory needs to be validated for a given motherboard if you want any kind of guarantee that it's going to work with it. Sure, technically any DDR5 will be "compatible" and CAN work with any given board, but that doesn't mean it WILL and very often we find it doesn't. That's the WHOLE REASON motherboard manufacturers HAVE a QVL list and why memory manufacturers have their own, much more extensive compatibility lists. Well, the big players anyhow. Smaller memory manufacturers tend to not have the resources for creating such lists so it's a lot more hit or miss using brands other than G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial.

Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

And no, it does not mean you can use "any 6600mhz ddr5 ram". Memory needs to be validated for a given motherboard if you want any kind of guarantee that it's going to work with it. Sure, technically any DDR5 will be "compatible" and CAN work with any given board, but that doesn't mean it WILL and very often we find it doesn't. That's the WHOLE REASON motherboard manufacturers HAVE a QVL list and why memory manufacturers have their own, much more extensive compatibility lists. Well, the big players anyhow. Smaller memory manufacturers tend to not have the resources for creating such lists so it's a lot more hit or miss using brands other than G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial.
Tyvm . much apreciated.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

hey, i just checked qvl of my mobo, and it listed some 6400 rams, so will those support my cpu as well?

So, being "supported" doesn't mean they are going to offer you any performance benefits, AND, they are going to COST you more than what you can likely get a similar 6000MT/s kit for. If you can get a faster kit for the same price or less, sure, that is fine because you can always reduce the speed of the kit in the BIOS if necessary. Otherwise, it's probably a waste of money.

If you choose to use faster memory than 3000MT/s (6000MT/S double data rate, what you will see as "advertised speed" for 3000MT/s DIMMs) then you will incur a penalty that drops the performance of the infinity fabric so that you must use MUCH faster memory in order to overcome that penalty. Right now, there are no memory kits fast enough and compatible, to make this tradeoff worth it. Stick to a 6000MT/s kit.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
So, being "supported" doesn't mean they are going to offer you any performance benefits, AND, they are going to COST you more than what you can likely get a similar 6000MT/s kit for. If you can get a faster kit for the same price or less, sure, that is fine because you can always reduce the speed of the kit in the BIOS if necessary. Otherwise, it's probably a waste of money.

If you choose to use faster memory than 3000MT/s (6000MT/S double data rate, what you will see as "advertised speed" for 3000MT/s DIMMs) then you will incur a penalty that drops the performance of the infinity fabric so that you must use MUCH faster memory in order to overcome that penalty. Right now, there are no memory kits fast enough and compatible, to make this tradeoff worth it. Stick to a 6000MT/s kit.

tyvm