Question Surface Pro 7 won't power on - usual troubleshooting done

Nitrousbird

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2012
Surface Pro 7, i5 / 8GB / 128 GB, out of warranty. Fully charged, I took it off the charger, using it for tuning/logging my car for 30 minutes and about 15 minutes of web surfing. I didn't look at the battery life, but no reason there wasn't plenty left as I've used it for these activities for far longer without an issue.

Closed the Type Cover for about 5 minutes. Open it back up and nothing. Tried the following (and several times for each):
  • Power for 30+ seconds. Also tried for a couple of minutes straight
  • Power + Volume Down for 30+ seconds and for a minute
  • Power + Volume Up for 30+ seconds
  • Power + Volume Up + Volume Down for 30+ seconds
  • Charging for a couple of hours, then trying the above, both while plugged in and not. Charger power light is solid
  • Removing the only things attached (MicroUSB card and Type Cover) and trying the above
- Creating a recovery USB from the Surface Recovery MS page, then trying the 30-second boots with the USB installed.

Type Cover does not light up. Surface was not dropped. It was not overheated in the least. It worked all day without issue.

Any other ideas? I use this thing a lot and need it. MS wants $450 to swap it out - which isn't happening as I'm done with the Surface if I can't get this one running again

Lutfij

Titan
If the physical button pushing didn't do much benefit, then it's very likely that the motherboard or circuitry needs taking a look at, which is what that hefty price tag for solving the issue could be. If you use a mobile computing device to perform tune ups, I would suggest a cheap entry level laptop that's sleek and concurrent so you don't need to lug it around.

Nitrousbird

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2012
I use the Surface for more than tuning (logging ECU data and making adjustments). I also use it as a tablet frequently and have it on my work from home office desk daily to have videos running in the background or to do things I don't want to do on my work laptop setup. Car tuning is only a small part of its use. Plus, logging on low-end laptops sucks, as they typically don't have the processing power to do it well.

I will have to see what else is out there in the under $1000 market as an alternative.