Surface Pro Benchmark Showcases Impressive Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

antherion

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Comparing i5-based Surface Pro against atom-based Latitude 10, Envy x2 and Iconia W510 will of course makes Surface Pro "impressive"—just like comparing a smartphone against a full-blown laptop.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
"The iPad generally delivers 10 hours of battery life on a single charge, while the Surface Pro, which launches on February 9, can hardly deliver four hours."

Maybe you should read Anand's full review. The Surface was able to pull 5-6 hours out. Actually all the reviews I have seen are hitting 5-6 hours of use except for Cnet's review which showed the lowest battery time at 271 minutes or 4.55 Hours from video playback. (No clue what the used either they didn't say)I have no clue where everyone is getting this less than 4 hours of use at crap.

Anandtech battery test: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695/microsoft-surface-pro-review/9

Oh by the way, it may only last 5-6 hours on battery but it can reach 80% charge in about an hour and full change in 2 hours. That's a hell of a lot quicker than the iPad3 or 4 to charge.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Also to clarify the term "Use". "Use" is real world operation of the Surface pro not running full kilter with bench marks. In benchmarks the Surface Rt gets about 8-9 hours of "Use". In real world "Use" mine gets about 36 hours of use. (I use it as a laptop replacement).

So the term of "Use" is subjective on how you will really use it on a daily basis. So lets wait till it gets release and in the hands of real people to see how real world "Use" is before we start daming it.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I kind of wish the Surface design team would make a straight up Ultrabook. The Surface Pro plus the type keyboard make for an ok laptop experience, but the stand and floppy keyboard aren't always ideal. They could make an ultrabook flip back like the Lenovo Yoga to still have the tablet experience too.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Also, comparisons to ARM tablets battery life are silly. This is more like the 11 inch Macbook Air in functionality, it runs a full i5 processor with a full desktop operating system. The 11 inch MBA battery life is no better.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I bought the Sony Vaio Duo 11 due to the better specs. It's a great device in terms of hardware and comes with core i7, 8Mb RAM, 256Gb SSD, 2 USB3 and full size HDMI included and boots in 7 secs (cold boot), 1 sec (warm stRt). Downside is battery life and the internal fan which all i5 and i7 devices suffer from.

Still I use my iPad more than the Sony. The problem is the OS, not the hardware.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Microsoft ordered only 1 million units to be made, so if you want this piece of crap, you better hurry[/citation]

for mobility id prefer thing thing over any piece of crap you own

compuservant

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
the graph this article needs to print is performance per dollar. These things are niche products at best. Most people are going to buy either tradition laptops or Ultrabooks. Those who want a tablet likely have already purchased one if that is their choice of form factor. I'd be surprised if M$ sells even 500K of these.
This thing is going to cost the consumer at least $1300 or more by the time your buy the table, the Os, the flappy keyboard thingy and a slew of new software optimized for the W*/Metro format. Actually, you are probably looking at closer to $1500. Remind me again what some of the newer ultrabooks are selling for?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]compuservant[/nom]the graph this article needs to print is performance per dollar. These things are niche products at best. Most people are going to buy either tradition laptops or Ultrabooks. Those who want a tablet likely have already purchased one if that is their choice of form factor. I'd be surprised if M$ sells even 500K of these.This thing is going to cost the consumer at least $1300 or more by the time your buy the table, the Os, the flappy keyboard thingy and a slew of new software optimized for the W*/Metro format. Actually, you are probably looking at closer to $1500. Remind me again what some of the newer ultrabooks are selling for?[/citation]

The fact that you seriously just used the word "thingy" makes me think you need to go find a new hobby.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
what you need is graph for mobility_with_performance per dollar. Comparing this with 3kg 17'' laptop is a stupidest thing you can do...

Seikent

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
With Haswell the idle battery time will be pretty much fixed (new power modes) and the battery time will be much more competitive while improving the performance. I guess that will be a milestone in changing what we know as mobile computing today.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]SGTgimpy[/nom]"The iPad generally delivers 10 hours of battery life on a single charge, while the Surface Pro, which launches on February 9, can hardly deliver four hours."Maybe you should read Anand's full review. The Surface was able to pull 5-6 hours out. Actually all the reviews I have seen are hitting 5-6 hours of use except for Cnet's review which showed the lowest battery time at 271 minutes or 4.55 Hours from video playback. (No clue what the used either they didn't say)I have no clue where everyone is getting this less than 4 hours of use at crap. Anandtech battery test: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695 [...] o-review/9 Oh by the way, it may only last 5-6 hours on battery but it can reach 80% charge in about an hour and full change in 2 hours. That's a hell of a lot quicker than the iPad3 or 4 to charge.[/citation]
+1

Tom's really needs to stop regurgitating the FUD that the Surface Pro gets less than four hours of battery life.

teamcarlisle

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I tried to buy one of these today, but they were all sold out online and physically at staples and bestbuy by the time I woke up. Very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.