Surface Pro Tablets to Finally Arrive in January 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished

I agree - on paper, they've taken the strengths of both markets: the full operating system support of a laptop/slate to open up app availability, the convenient form factor and user interface of a tablet. I want to see how well it executes - depending on compatibility issues, this could be a game changer for companies who are being pressured into using iPads in the workplace. As an IT professional, I would be much happier deploying one of these so that I could leverage my existing licensing. Not sure how easy these things will be to image but I will worry about that down the road if I like mine.

At this point, the 1 thing that I would personally really like to see is a docking station interface so that I could have an office setup. Leave all my peripherals plugged into a docking station rather than having to plug in the HDMI to VGA or display port cable to output to a monitor, and USBs for a wireless keyboard/mouse, external HDD, etc.

Will that keep me from giving this a try, no. Would it be an uber convenience, you betcha.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rmaxx[/nom]Why not? Apple seems to do just fine selling 64GB phones for 850 $ with an even smaller screen..And those arent even compatible with iphone docks from 6 months ago.Really you have no clue...If apple releases an iphone tomorrow with desktop power ,with monitor and mouse+keyboard connection they would sell, even for $ 1500,-... PC in your pocket.. at the price of an ultrabook, great idea! (although apple would probably charge you $3000 like a macbook pro)Surface Pro = Portable device with full software, heavier but tablet like , lighter then a laptop, hi res, capable of multiple screens, pen support, touch support, keyboard/mouse supprt, the works. Working longer then 4 hours? you plug it in, attach a keyboard and extra screen.. Just like a laptop. Its a perfect add-on to any desktop, to say the least, and capable of replacing a lot of them. No iMac in your living room but a Surface Pro in the drawer. The wife will like that !It has it flaws, of course, but it really isnt a bad setup at all. Really , you just dont won't them to succeed, either because you dont have the money to buy one or you just hate MS for some reason.. The iPad was just a bigger iPod, remember....[/citation]

Everything you have said is completely wrong.

You don't understand markets at all.

First of all, you don't think I have the money to buy a surface Pro? My Microsoft stocks can buy 10X many Surface Pros easily.

Second, you claim, "or you just hate MS for some reason.." I am an investor and follower of tech companies, markets and the economics of them. Microsoft is coming up with an unprofitable, overpriced item to compete in a space where they will get very little marketshare and traction. It has been a complete failure with the Surface to date.

If you honestly think someone will buy a Windows 8 full OS phone for $1200 this shows to me you have ZERO understanding of market dynamics. No one is even interested in Windows 8 mobile devices on mass as major flagship releases from Apple or Samsung. They have no traction in this market and cannot command such a demand for a $1200 phone no matter what's in it. There becomes a point of pricing out your customer base, and clearly you don't seem to understand this,

Every company, product has their own supply and demand, just matching "specs" of one does not mean you can command the same price.

You can make a pair of shoes that meet all the specifications and looks of a Nike pair, you will get destroyed in the market place if you try to price them at the same.

Lets compare Surface sales and profitability with other competitors in this space in February and see how right you are.

rmaxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

uuuw big boy in the house.... i am part of the market, and you dont understand microsofts intentions

"Second, you claim, "or you just hate MS for some reason.." I am an investor and follower of tech companies, markets and the economics of them. Microsoft is coming up with an unprofitable, overpriced item to compete in a space where they will get very little marketshare and traction. It has been a complete failure with the Surface to date."

Why did you buy those stocks again? :pt1cable:
The surface is nothing near overpriced. Maybe its not for everyone ( its not an ipad my friend) but that has nothing to do with the price.

"If you honestly think someone will buy a Windows 8 full OS phone for $1200 this shows to me you have ZERO understanding of market dynamics. No one is even interested in Windows 8 mobile devices on mass as major flagship releases from Apple or Samsung. They have no traction in this market and cannot command such a demand for a $1200 phone no matter what's in it. There becomes a point of pricing out your customer base, and clearly you don't seem to understand this," :sleep:

Clearly you dont understand the target market for the surface Pro. Apple already sells phones for 850$, who is overpricing?! And they are doing just fine.
Ok so if Apple would make a device that does everything an ultrabook does, fits in your pocket AND makes phonecalls ... you are right.. nobody would pay the same (i mean 300$ less then an ultrabook, or 300$ more then theit phone now) for that... You are so right.. ... you win .. But i would be buying one... And you would see your stocks fall... life isnt fair. :kaola:

"Every company, product has their own supply and demand, just matching "specs" of one does not mean you can command the same price. You can make a pair of shoes that meet all the specifications and looks of a Nike pair, you will get destroyed in the market place if you try to price them at the same."

Right again!! that must be there is no other brand selling shoes besides Nike! You have opened my eyes! I'm buying Nike stocks for christmas! :pt1cable: really..you...you..ow my... the wisdom...
Microsoft isnt matching specs, they are setting them, they are not trying to compete for ipad users (consumers), that would be impossible at this point. (app store, accessories etc) They are targeting the people who want more then just consuming on a tablet.

"Lets compare Surface sales and profitability with other competitors in this space in February and see how right you are"

*sign* Microsoft isnt pushing this product to get a large market share, its pushing it so their partners will (in total) get a descent marketshare... they are not even selling it at normal stores!! Its pushing Windows8! Microsoft sells software first !!! You shouldnt be buying Microsoft stocks, you have no clue what you are buying..... :hello:

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]cetiritas[/nom]Where's the 4G LTE on the spec sheet?has a lot of great features, but without the freedom of going cellular - This will likely result in a flop.[/citation]

One of many reasons why this will flop, excellent point

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rmaxx[/nom]uuuw big boy in the house.... i am part of the market, and you dont understand microsofts intentions"Second, you claim, "or you just hate MS for some reason.." I am an investor and follower of tech companies, markets and the economics of them. Microsoft is coming up with an unprofitable, overpriced item to compete in a space where they will get very little marketshare and traction. It has been a complete failure with the Surface to date."Why did you buy those stocks again? The surface is nothing near overpriced. Maybe its not for everyone ( its not an ipad my friend) but that has nothing to do with the price."If you honestly think someone will buy a Windows 8 full OS phone for $1200 this shows to me you have ZERO understanding of market dynamics. No one is even interested in Windows 8 mobile devices on mass as major flagship releases from Apple or Samsung. They have no traction in this market and cannot command such a demand for a $1200 phone no matter what's in it. There becomes a point of pricing out your customer base, and clearly you don't seem to understand this," Clearly you dont understand the target market for the surface Pro. Apple already sells phones for 850$, who is overpricing?! And they are doing just fine.Ok so if Apple would make a device that does everything an ultrabook does, fits in your pocket AND makes phonecalls ... you are right.. nobody would pay the same (i mean 300$ less then an ultrabook, or 300$ more then theit phone now) for that... You are so right.. ... you win .. But i would be buying one... And you would see your stocks fall... life isnt fair. "Every company, product has their own supply and demand, just matching "specs" of one does not mean you can command the same price. You can make a pair of shoes that meet all the specifications and looks of a Nike pair, you will get destroyed in the market place if you try to price them at the same."Right again!! that must be there is no other brand selling shoes besides Nike! You have opened my eyes! I'm buying Nike stocks for christmas! really..you...you..ow my... the wisdom...Microsoft isnt matching specs, they are setting them, they are not trying to compete for ipad users (consumers), that would be impossible at this point. (app store, accessories etc) They are targeting the people who want more then just consuming on a tablet."Lets compare Surface sales and profitability with other competitors in this space in February and see how right you are"*sign* Microsoft isnt pushing this product to get a large market share, its pushing it so their partners will (in total) get a descent marketshare... they are not even selling it at normal stores!! Its pushing Windows8! Microsoft sells software first !!! You shouldnt be buying Microsoft stocks, you have no clue what you are buying.....[/citation]

Trust me, I know more about Microsoft's business model and in terms of investment than you. Because I can clearly tell you don't. Funny part is you claim X and Y about me and I clearly show you to be incorrect.

over 85% of microsofts profits come from Windows and Office. The Home and Devices Division along with their Online Services Divisions have combined for billions of negative operating income in the past decade. The Surface Pro will continue you.

They're pushing partners to get a larger marketshare? That's why they are making products to compete with them, great way to encourage partners to get into Windows 8 tablets huh?

Microsoft is trying to copy Apple by selling their products both online and at physical locations in malls. Problem is, Apple is smart enough to have their products available at other retail locations (Staples, Best Buy, Walmart, etc). Microsoft again has shown their inability to match and exceed market competition. Surface does not command high pre-order sales so people are not going to their online stores to buy them without seeing them.

The Surface RT has been a complete flop, that was their attempt to match existing competition.
The Surface Pro is undoubtedly has more power than other tablets, so does its price.

The Surface Pro is equivalent to a $3000 beefed up ultrabook, people generally want PC ultrabooks for $750-$1500. In case you haven't noticed, selling a PC laptop with better specs but charging a huge premium doesn't generate billions in revenue and make profits...

Google and Amazon have been successful due to them understanding the demand in the tablet space and providing something cheap (subsidized) and different than Apple that people will want. Microsoft is definitely providing something different with the Surface Pro, but guess what, people don't want it at its price.

game junky

Distinguished
I think if they get it to brick and mortar stores rather than selling only from MS store and their website, it would have a chance of getting comparisons with Win8 laptops and iOS/Android tablets.

There are people who want a more powerful portable device and there are people who want to be able to run applications that aren't built for a mobile OS. Their biggest hurdle is that is a sizeable investment to make without having seen the product and Window 8 reviews haven't been favorable. For those looking to reach up from the tablet marketplace, iOS has made things so simple and Android has made things so customizable. For those looking to dip down from the laptop marketplace, there are just so many options at so many price points that they're going to have a hard time distinguishing themselves as more than a software provider. People haven't quite gotten over the sour taste of the Zune and the luke warm feelings of Windows Phone 7. I admire how aggressively they are pushing the current Surface tablet running Windows RT and I hope they have worked with manufacturers to continue to increase the number of accessories for the Pro model launch.

I feel like in order to recoup their R&D & marketing costs, they needed to get those tablets into other retail outlets. Web only works when your product is inexpensive in comparison to it's direct competition and your infrastructure runs like a swiss watch to keep your profit margin high but I think they're in a niche market. They have to try to sell people on the concept of the Surface Pro the way Apple had to sell people on the original iPad. If have done their homework to make the OS perfect for the hardware and easy to use and love, then they have a shot at stealing sales from iPad for business and new laptop users for school purposes.

That's a tall order considering how much of a head start Apple and the various Android manufacturers have, but it's doable if the battery life is impressive and the user experience is phenomenal.

Here's hoping!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]game junky[/nom]I think if they get it to brick and mortar stores rather than selling only from MS store and their website, it would have a chance of finding a chance of getting comparisons with Win8 laptops and iOS/Android tablets. There are people who want a more powerful portable device and there are people who want to be able to run applications that aren't built for a mobile OS. Their biggest hurdle is that is a sizeable investment to make without having seen the product and Window 8 reviews haven't been favorable. For those looking to reach up from the tablet marketplace, iOS has made things so simple and Android has made things so customizable. For those looking to dip down from the laptop marketplace, there are just so many options at so many price points that they're going to have a hard time distinguishing themselves as more than a software provider. People haven't quite gotten over the sour taste of the Zune and the luke warm feelings of Windows Phone 7. I admire how aggressively they are pushing the current Surface tablet running Windows RT and I hope they have worked with manufacturers to continue to increase the number of accessories for the Pro model launch.I feel like in order to recoup their R&D & marketing costs, they needed to get those tablets into other retail outlets. Web only works when your product is inexpensive in comparison to it's direct competition and your infrastructure runs like a swiss watch to keep your profit margin high but I think they're in a niche market. They have to try to sell people on the concept of the Surface Pro the way Apple had to sell people on the original iPad. If have done their homework to make the OS perfect for the hardware and easy to use and love, then they have a shot at stealing sales from iPad for business and new laptop users for school purposes.That's a tall order considering how much of a head start Apple and the various Android manufacturers have, but it's doable if the battery life is impressive and the user experience is phenomenal.Here's hoping![/citation]

Well said. Unfortunately seems battery life is 50% of the RT version and other tablet rivals. More powerful hardware however that's not what people will expect when purchasing the tablet.

Just like how many people buying the RT really didn't know it wasn't coming with a full office, 12GB is used of the 32GB by the OS, Office, and other apps.

They're doing a horrible job with these releases. They spent $1.5 billion and still have confused customers (plus little sales).

game junky

Distinguished

As my Father told me when I was young and having a conflict with a neighborhood kid, "Son, you can't fix stupid...". Wish all consumers would do their researchers so they wouldn't be disappointed. C'est la vie

I agree - that i5 proc and that bright 1080p screen is going to eat up battery life. I hope they will release a combination keyboard case with an integrated external battery to increase total battery life (a la the keyboard dock for the ASUS Transformer tablet line). I think most people want to get through a day on 1 charge - most people need anywhere from 6 - 10 hours of productivity and mess around time on their laptop/tablet. If I could get an 8 hour day, I would be happy enough. If somehow their marketing campaign magically works and they release additional models or give you additional customization options then I think they need to think about a docking station option geared toward the enterprise.

I guess you can't have everything, maybe I'll get lucky and can con one of my vendors into sending me one to test with.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rmaxx[/nom]uuuw big boy in the house.... i am part of the market, and you dont understand microsofts intentions"Second, you claim, "or you just hate MS for some reason.." I am an investor and follower of tech companies, markets and the economics of them. Microsoft is coming up with an unprofitable, overpriced item to compete in a space where they will get very little marketshare and traction. It has been a complete failure with the Surface to date."Why did you buy those stocks again? The surface is nothing near overpriced. Maybe its not for everyone ( its not an ipad my friend) but that has nothing to do with the price."If you honestly think someone will buy a Windows 8 full OS phone for $1200 this shows to me you have ZERO understanding of market dynamics. No one is even interested in Windows 8 mobile devices on mass as major flagship releases from Apple or Samsung. They have no traction in this market and cannot command such a demand for a $1200 phone no matter what's in it. There becomes a point of pricing out your customer base, and clearly you don't seem to understand this," Clearly you dont understand the target market for the surface Pro. Apple already sells phones for 850$, who is overpricing?! And they are doing just fine.Ok so if Apple would make a device that does everything an ultrabook does, fits in your pocket AND makes phonecalls ... you are right.. nobody would pay the same (i mean 300$ less then an ultrabook, or 300$ more then theit phone now) for that... You are so right.. ... you win .. But i would be buying one... And you would see your stocks fall... life isnt fair. "Every company, product has their own supply and demand, just matching "specs" of one does not mean you can command the same price. You can make a pair of shoes that meet all the specifications and looks of a Nike pair, you will get destroyed in the market place if you try to price them at the same."Right again!! that must be there is no other brand selling shoes besides Nike! You have opened my eyes! I'm buying Nike stocks for christmas! really..you...you..ow my... the wisdom...Microsoft isnt matching specs, they are setting them, they are not trying to compete for ipad users (consumers), that would be impossible at this point. (app store, accessories etc) They are targeting the people who want more then just consuming on a tablet."Lets compare Surface sales and profitability with other competitors in this space in February and see how right you are"*sign* Microsoft isnt pushing this product to get a large market share, its pushing it so their partners will (in total) get a descent marketshare... they are not even selling it at normal stores!! Its pushing Windows8! Microsoft sells software first !!! You shouldnt be buying Microsoft stocks, you have no clue what you are buying.....[/citation]

The Surface RT sales are a leading indicator of how well the Surface Pro will do.

Surface RT original estimates by Microsoft were 4 million, then revised to 2 million now analyst estimates are 1.3 million.

iPad sales are 26 million for the same final 3 month period. iPad outsells the Surface RT by 20:1.

The Pro will be even a bigger failure. Good luck buying one, you and the other 12 people...

Hope you're man enough to come back in the Spring (2013) after the first quarter Pro sales are provided.

game junky

Distinguished
Looks like they're finally going to start putting them in local retailers and other reseller portals (amazon) later this month and in January. I hope they launch the Pro without the delay to local stores, I would feel a lot happier about buying one if I could test it to make sure I like the form factor.

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Way over priced. Will sell very few units.If they included 4G LTE and the ability to make calls then they could have had more leverage.Has to be at half the price to compete with the iPad and Android tablets that exist.Microsoft will continue their subpar performance at their Entertainment and Devices Divisions.[/citation]

Over priced? I guess you put ZERO value on the following features...
USB 3.0 port
mini-HDMI Port with full 1080p output.
microSDXC slot
Full on device encryption
Genuine Pen (think Wacom) interface with hand writing recognition.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but if none of these are of any value to you then you're right. Most people will likely disagree with you.

You are not allowed to advertise like that here.
Please do not do that anymore

rmaxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.