Surface Remains Leading Windows 8 Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Am I the only one here think the win8 tiles on tablet/regular desktop/laptop are not as good as the ones on windows phone? *because the tiles doesnt fill the whole screen and only have 2 sizes. Poor use of screen real estate.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
tile fail. i understand that people dislike change, and introducing new ways of doing things can really stir things up the wrong way, especially when people have been doing it that way for like... 20 years... but this was just not the way of approaching it microsoft. metro for desktop, to me anyway, just implied that you guys are trying to completely remove the desktop experience. not enhance it.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]metro for desktop, to me anyway, just implied that you guys are trying to completely remove the desktop experience. not enhance it.[/citation]

Exactly what they're trying to do. They want to drag all existing Windows users into their new walled garden, where they control the sale/installation of apps and get a 30% cut. It's backfired on them, and not only their tablets/mobiles are failing, now they're in trouble with desktop Windows users. Looking forward to rollback of changes in Windows 9.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
So let's do a little first-grade math. If Surface accounts for 6% of Windows 8/RT devices, and maybe 500k Surfaces were sold so far (analysts predict 1 million total in 2012), that would mean 8.3 million of Windows 8/RT devices being used total, including preview releases on VMs, pirated copies, everything?

I thought Microsoft said they sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]So let's do a little first-grade math. If Surface accounts for 6% of Windows 8/RT devices, and maybe 500k Surfaces were sold so far (analysts predict 1 million total in 2012), that would mean 8.3 million of Windows 8/RT devices being used total, including preview releases on VMs, pirated copies, everything?I thought Microsoft said they sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses.[/citation]I think they sold 40 million desktop licenses and this article is for Windows 8 "Devices" meaning tablets and laptops etc.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I think they sold 40 million desktop licenses and this article is for Windows 8 "Devices" meaning tablets and laptops etc.[/citation]

Nope, look at other devices in the chart: Pavillion, Inspiron, Series 3, SatelliteIt's all Windows 8 devices, including desktops that got upgrades.It's data from an ad-serving firm, so it includes everything that reports running Windows 8 / RT, even pirated copies.

Edit: On second look, could be, but previous stats from this firm didn't say "devices" but "overall market", and Surface even had a higher share then. Besides, Windows 8 passed 1% market share at the beginning of December, and since there are 1.6 billion computers running Windows by latest estimates, 1% of that would be 16 million (including pirated versions and preview releases). Microsoft might have sold 40 million licenses (whatever that means), but machines with those licenses just aren't being used yet.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]Nope, look at other devices in the chart: Pavillion, Inspiron, Series 3, SatelliteIt's all Windows 8 devices, including desktops that got upgrades.It's data from an ad-serving firm, so it includes everything that reports running Windows 8 / RT, even pirated copies.[/citation]Pavllion g6 = Laptop, Inspiron 5520 and 3520 = Laptops. Series 3 = Laptop, Pavillion dv6 = Laptop., Acer Aspire V5 = laptop.

I'm not seeing any desktops here, so I'm betting that I'm right in saying the announcement a few weeks ago that Windows 8 sold 40 million licenses was for either for only Desktops or for all devices while the chart in this article is tablets and laptops only.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, I didn't read your messsage correctly, but it looks like the numbers do include desktops based on total reported Windows 8 market share and total estimated Windows user base. There just aren't 40 million Windows 8 / RT devices being used out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.