Surface RT is a Hit With Best Buy Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Not a fan of Windows 8, but it was really made for devices like the surface in mind. I think the RT is about $100 too much and should come with the keyboard, but it's not a bad deal.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I don't see why Microsoft can't just separate the UI and the rest of the OS (Kernel, filesystem, drivers, etc) into two separate entitiies. I am not say go all out like linux where you can get all OS pieces part ala cart, but just separate out the UI and even sell it as a module. You would have two flavours: desktop and tablet, maybe even phone would be another.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Not a bad device for a first generation. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Surface 2 turns out. I hope they price it better

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure I could sell a rock with a Windows/Apple/Sony/Samsung/whatever logo on it and it'll be a hit at Best Buy too.

BUT, good for Microsoft.

InvalidError

Titan
The RT is definitely ~$150 too expensive for what it does when compared to similarly priced laptops that run regular Windows and can actually run regular Windows applications/games.

I personally would be quite annoyed with buying a "Windows" tablet that cannot run regular Windows stuff while costing $200 more than a low-end (but still quite capable) laptop that can run whatever I want.

Lets see what happens after the launch and hype dust settle.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I'm pretty sure I could sell a rock with a Windows/Apple/Sony/Samsung/whatever logo on it and it'll be a hit at Best Buy too.BUT, good for Microsoft.[/citation]

Hey now, I miss my pet rock...... lost it somewhere in my old hometown of Endicott, NY. On that note kudos to MS. Still Ballmer should go.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
if the RT was 299
and pro was about 599-699

i think MSFT would have a winner

they could just do like xbox and make the money back on accesories

[citation][nom]alchemy69[/nom]A whole 28 reviews, now that's what I call a representative sample.[/citation]
It is human nature that disgruntled customers are more likely to leave a review than satisfied ones. It's how human psyche works. Even so, there only one negative review for this unit, so all in all not a bad start.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Doesn't the group "Best Buy Customers" equate to the lower portion of humanity, kind of like Walmartians (see youtube vide)[/citation]

No, I think you may be confused with apple customers. For what it is, the Surface is actually a really good device. My mom has wanted a tablet for quite a while but the Android tablets just could do the basic stuff she wanted to do and do it well. Microsoft FINALLY has something that has similar form factor. Great usability, and a good solid build/feel. My mom loves that she can finally take her office documents from her home or work pc and edit them in their native format on her tablet, and then take them back or even print directly from the tablet. Some people try to see tablets as replacements for PCs... They aren't, they are extensions, and the surface finally brings a really good extension to the windows environment.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I think the people who gave it 5 stars despite naming the the many shortcomings may suffer from fanboyism. The way it works is you buy something expensive and you convince yourself that it was an awesome buy because otherwise you may feel stupid.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I was expecting that this article would have more people ranting and raving about how bad Windows 8 and the Surface are and how those products somehow raped their wife, killed their children and burned their house down.

Much like I see with Samsung on Macrumors and Apple elsewhere.

Son I am proud.

[citation][nom]alchemy69[/nom]A whole 28 reviews, now that's what I call a representative sample.[/citation]
Most people don't write reviews. Look at Newegg products. It takes a long time before they get many reviews on anything, and the Surface has only been at Best Buy a few days. Generally only very unhappy or very happy people write reviews anyways.

If it wasn't for Office being included, I might agree its over priced, but it is included. That said, I won't be buying one because I can't afford one right now and don't really have a need.

That is assuming Best Buy doesn't moderate the reviews, they would never do that would they. Everyone who does this tactic knows you leave a couple bad reviews to give it credibility and leave all the good ones to make the product look good. I'm not saying they did this but the data seems skewed enough to say they likely did.

G

So here's the thing about the person who commented poorly. The RT Tablet is NOT overpriced because its from Microsoft. The ASUS RT tablet is around that price range as well. Also, the reason the app store is lacking because of three things. ONE, iOS and Android have been around MUCH longer than the Windows Store. TWO, the tablet and OS are only about two months old. DON'T EXPECT ONE BILLION BAJILLION apps available for the device and OS. THREE...well, there is no three since the customer is a complete idiot. It cannot run Windows based applications simply because it is powered by the Nvidia Tegra 3 chip. SOFTWARE DEVS ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO RECODE THE SOFTWARE TO WORK FOR TEGRA 3! The RT tablets are for ENTERTAINMENT and everyday use. NOT HARDCORE COMPUTING. This is why I bought the Lenovo Yoga, because it has a ton of power and you can use it as a tablet. NEVER READ CUSTOMER REVIEWS. They do NOT know what they are talking about.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I think the people who gave it 5 stars despite naming the the many shortcomings may suffer from fanboyism. The way it works is you buy something expensive and you convince yourself that it was an awesome buy because otherwise you may feel stupid.[/citation]

Ah.. You mean like iPad purchasers!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It would be a helpful bit of info if we could confirm if every review was from someone who actually bought the device from Best Buy, not just someone who has gone there to post a review. Whether positive or negative, it is a disservice to have non-customers on a retail website commenting about a product they may or may not have bought from said retailer. I think the Surface is a decent device for what it is supposed to be. But if you want to accurately interpret reviews, it helps to have some certainty that the reviewer isn't parroting popular lines from across the internet.

The number of reviews is surprising only in that so many chose to post reviews so soon. But this isn't a scientific effort, so you can only take it with a grain of salt. And the people who gave it a five despite some complaints, well that just means the complaints were so small relative to everything else it didn't detract enough from the overall rating. That's why you have to read the actual review, not just look at the headline rating.

G

What the..... have you really written an article about 28 Reviews of the Surface bought at best buy?

I simply cannot believe there is so little news out there that you need to make things like this up!

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Seems like that Miami, Florida-based customer should educate him/herself about differences between x86 and ARM architectures. I don't see people complaining about Photoshop and Final Cut Pro not working on iPads.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]drosencraft[/nom]It would be a helpful bit of info if we could confirm if every review was from someone who actually bought the device from Best Buy, not just someone who has gone there to post a review. Whether positive or negative, it is a disservice to have non-customers on a retail website commenting about a product they may or may not have bought from said retailer. I think the Surface is a decent device for what it is supposed to be. But if you want to accurately interpret reviews, it helps to have some certainty that the reviewer isn't parroting popular lines from across the internet. The number of reviews is surprising only in that so many chose to post reviews so soon. But this isn't a scientific effort, so you can only take it with a grain of salt. And the people who gave it a five despite some complaints, well that just means the complaints were so small relative to everything else it didn't detract enough from the overall rating. That's why you have to read the actual review, not just look at the headline rating.[/citation]

I bought mine off the Microshaft store (ya, I love em and hate em, but I hate em less than that apple overpriced crap and droid lol) and posted a review there.. so I'm sure others might have done the same /shrug

Being a tad nieve. Best Buy owns the reviews hence if there were 500 bad ones they can leave only one bad one on the site if they wish. This metric means absolutely nothing. Actual retail sales would be useful but this is total BS pre-holiday hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.