Surface Tablets Will Support Xbox 360 Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvidiaguy07

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
when i first read this article i was actually excited that they might have built a wireless receiver into surface tablets - and they possibly would do the same for future laptops. NOPE

Who freaking cares, my android can do the same thing, and i can play wireless with a ps3 controller.

Build on the IR receiver on your new laptops. I would kill to be able to use a wireless 360 controller on the go without that huge wireless receiver. Or at least make a nice little dongle.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
So is this just a gimmick to get people to buy surface tablets or will it actually serve a useful purpose. I don't think I want carry a tablet plus controller, Cause I'd look pretty funny walking down the street, tablet in one and controller in the other "Mercy".

G

DirectX is an API that is part of Windows 8 and XInput enables the use of the Xbox controllers. This is the same API that you your games use on an Xbox. I believe the main point that is being taught here is that all Windows 8 devices will now be able to run and use the same stuff. You have to choose what fits you the best. It's not a gimmick (somebody asked Panay) it's a reality. If you WANT to use it, with your Windows 8 device, you CAN.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nvidiaguy07[/nom]when i first read this article i was actually excited that they might have built a wireless receiver into surface tablets - and they possibly would do the same for future laptops. NOPEWho freaking cares, my android can do the same thing, and i can play wireless with a ps3 controller. Build on the IR receiver on your new laptops. I would kill to be able to use a wireless 360 controller on the go without that huge wireless receiver. Or at least make a nice little dongle.[/citation]
My android, my android . . .
For now on I am rooting for windows 8.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
how about make a decent software suite for the pc?
how about make it so a charger cable works to hook up a wireless controller? i mean the pc KNOWS its a 360 controller, the only reson its locked is because microsoft are douceh bags and want to ruin pc gaming.

hell alot of game i cant even get a non 360 controller to work,
so i had to get a wired 360 controller
because it has a deadzone, its impossible to play with native software
i had to get a cracked custom software, and it explains NOTHING

i will figure it all out some day... but not now

and on a side note, i have a saitek p2500, and it has the such a great software suite everything is simple to configure, yet Microsoft cant even give me a simple damned program for it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nvidiaguy07[/nom]when i first read this article i was actually excited that they might have built a wireless receiver into surface tablets - and they possibly would do the same for future laptops. NOPEWho freaking cares, my android can do the same thing, and i can play wireless with a ps3 controller. Build on the IR receiver on your new laptops. I would kill to be able to use a wireless 360 controller on the go without that huge wireless receiver. Or at least make a nice little dongle.[/citation]Why add extra cost for a feature that only 2% of Surface users will use? The wired 360 controller is great. I already use a wired 360 controller on my PC, it's not like I sit 20 feet away. Are you planning on sitting that far away from your 10.6" tablet?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Why add extra cost for a feature that only 2% of Surface users will use? The wired 360 controller is great. I already use a wired 360 controller on my PC, it's not like I sit 20 feet away. Are you planning on sitting that far away from your 10.6" tablet?[/citation]

You'll find these boards are full of "experts" that totally hate anything from Microsoft, Apple, or Intel. It's cool to be stand-offish to what's cool, apparently.

G

Cool, I guess. Any Windows thing with a USB 2.0 port can do this.

[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]You'll find these boards are full of "experts" that totally hate anything from Microsoft, Apple, or Intel. It's cool to be stand-offish to what's cool, apparently.[/citation]

True. Sadly, rarely now will you see an actually level headed, non biased discussion on the comments. Now, people just bandwagon on hating Apple, Windows 8, consoles, AMD, Nintendo instead of experiencing their products and drawing their own conclusion.

Its best that you go to overclock.net or some other site so you don't get curbstomped by fanboys here.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]You'll find these boards are full of "experts" that totally hate anything from Microsoft, Apple, or Intel. It's cool to be stand-offish to what's cool, apparently.[/citation]

As a non biased person, it would have been really nice if MS actually had a built in bluetooth for the wireless controllers, it's very tedious to carry around a dongle for wireless or a 6ft+ cable just so I can play without the hassle of wireless.

Of course Surface users aren't people who game, and if they are buying the tablet for gaming then I don't know why they wouldn't buy a $300 Xbox 360 and some games and a subscription for cheaper.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
it already looks like the second generation surface is the surface everyone will be waiting for. it would have been impressive if it had an ir emitter for the wireless controller. not so impressive that its wired. i CAN use the dongle for the pc, but its just extra bulk. build it in next time!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]As a non biased person, it would have been really nice if MS actually had a built in bluetooth for the wireless controllers[/citation]Back when they were designing the Xbox 360 wireless controllers, the then-current Bluetooth version wasn't quite as good as what MS actually released. Early Bluetooth wasn't as reliable, especially when dealing with interference (4 wireless controllers, just on one console, let alone multiple consoles/apartments/dorms). BT also used quite a bit more power. The 360 wireless controllers are among the best I've used, they were the first wireless controllers I remember using and completely forgetting they were wireless.

Now modern Bluetooth 4.0 is quite good. I'd like to see the next Xbox use it.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Imagine that... putting a working USB port on a tablet.

Revolutionary stuff there.....

/this post contains both sarcasm and a pun aimed at Apple (this must be explain to iFans).

gunbust3r

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Good job PR employee. Call attention to a feature that only 5% of Xbox users can take advantage of. Who has a wired controller? Not me or anyone I know with an Xbox 360...

Also of note the charger cables for wireless 360 controllers are ONLY wired for power and not data so those don't work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.