Question Surfshark VPN Virtual Network Drivers Interferes with my Ethernet connections

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
I have bought 2 years of Surfshark VPN and downloaded their Windows Program. When launching the program, Surfshark creates virtual network drivers. However, since my PC is connected by Ethernet to my ISPs modem, everytime I launch my PC, a few minutes after my PC is connected to my modem, my connection gets interrupted, disconnects, and reconnects after a few minutes.
I have a feeling that it's the virtual network drivers or the vpn connection itself interfering with my PC's ethernet connection to the modem. I've uninstalled surfshark and the virtual networks it creates twice and on both occasions where it's uninstalled, my PC ethernet connection has not been interrupted.
Is it sufficient enough to use the Chrome surfshark add-on to hide my IP address when enabled?.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
What do you mean by interrupted?
When you install a VPN it takes over your network connection by default and now all your traffic flows out thru the VPN. Depending on the VPN software, you may even lose your ability to connect to devices on your local network.
From your description it sounds normal - the VPN is just connecting and this interrupts the normal connection. I'm just surprised it takes a few minutes. I use Nord and it's very fast to connect/reconnect when I start up and my network is not even available until it does. This seems like a more secure way to do things IMO.

tytds

Honorable
Mar 26, 2016
What do you mean by interrupted?
When you install a VPN it takes over your network connection by default and now all your traffic flows out thru the VPN. Depending on the VPN software, you may even lose your ability to connect to devices on your local network.
From your description it sounds normal - the VPN is just connecting and this interrupts the normal connection. I'm just surprised it takes a few minutes. I use Nord and it's very fast to connect/reconnect when I start up and my network is not even available until it does. This seems like a more secure way to do things IMO.
I have VPN drivers installed already. When i start my PC, it would take a minute to connect to ethernet but sometimes would disconnect after 5 mins (think vpn drivers/virtual networks are causing this?) I've uninstalled all surfshark related stuff and my pc works fine now.

Last edited: