Surprised? China Still Welcomes Google's Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
thats pretty harsh at least google tried..in the end google is not a gov. owned company and simply can not afford to loose the chinese market...

G

Why not? Google suckz in China. License or not Chinese simply don't care

I just hope the Chinese Govt does eventually allow their people to access the internet the same way we can.

Google's ethical stance in the past has been great.

I keep their search engine as my home page ... for the moment.

Welcome to all our Chinese THG users !!

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]the title may as well be"Sulplise: China ... welcomes ... business" ![/citation]

I see what you did there... lol.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Did you guys actually read the post? They haven't provided unfiltered search results, the google.cn search is still linked over to the google.hk site. The part of google.cn they re-enabled were some of the services. It looks like their new music service, translation service, and product shopping service.

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
The Chinese are smart. Google was being a huge drama queen and the Chinese knew just how to deal with it. By renewing Google's license they've have ensured that Google doesn't have any more ammunition to use against China.

This whole thing made China look like it was the bigger man. How Google threw a hissy fit, did harmful things (to Chinese ideals) and then came crawling back.

I had hoped Google would stick by its morals and stay out of China, but I guess everything follows the almighty dollar (or renminbi..)

G

"China has renewed Google's license to operate there, ending a monthslong standoff over Internet censorship -- but only after the company pledged not to provide "lawbreaking content."

Google said yesterday that it had received approval to operate again in the world's most populous country in exchange for no longer automatically rerouting users of Google.cn to its site in Hong Kong, which is not subject to China's censorship.

Google began the rerouting this year after it stopped censoring search results on the mainland. China runs the world's most extensive Web monitoring and filtering.

ITS ABOUT CENSORSHIP PEOPLE, NOT ABOUT MONEY - Although Google, as a corporation, would obviously be interested in having business with a population of nearly a billion (counting only those old or savvy enough to use the internet).

Key here is Google's comment: "We are very pleased that the government has renewed our ICP license and we look forward to continuing to provide web search and LOCAL products to our users in China."

Incidentally, this is what Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, would like for us in the USA. Imagine that! Check out the Internet "Kill Switch" bill up for consideration.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]I knew Google would bow to the almighty dollar. Don't be evil, but be as greedy as you like. Cowards.[/citation]
Wow, that is just totally backwards and ignorant.
Google is still running its business as normal.
In this instance it is China that has backed down.
China obviously needs Google more than Google needs China, otherwise they wouldn't have renewed the license.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]Google's ethical stance in the past has been great.[/citation]

Are you for reals? o_O Next time they come by stealing data, call them in for a drink cause those poor fellas do get very tired doing their work. ALWAYS ethical :p

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Wow, that is just totally backwards and ignorant.Google is still running its business as normal.In this instance it is China that has backed down.China obviously needs Google more than Google needs China, otherwise they wouldn't have renewed the license.[/citation]

No, it isn't. Google made half-ass gestures of standing up to China, then backed down when it was apparent China wouldn't mind dropping Google like a hot potato. Instead of taking a moral stand, Google is now telling us all they support censorship as long as it makes them some cash. Do you really think China is going to let Google.com.hk work properly from the mainland? Stop making yourself look so naive and get your head out of Google's butt.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]No, it isn't. Google made half-ass gestures of standing up to China, then backed down when it was apparent China wouldn't mind dropping Google like a hot potato. Instead of taking a moral stand, Google is now telling us all they support censorship as long as it makes them some cash. Do you really think China is going to let Google.com.hk work properly from the mainland? Stop making yourself look so naive and get your head out of Google's butt.[/citation]
It says above, and I quote,
The attacks led Google to the decision that it would no longer censor search results on Google.cn. On March 22, the search giant officially stopped censoring search results for Google.cn. Instead, the company started redirecting all users visiting .com.cn to Google's .com.hk portal where uncensored results could be viewed in simplified Chinese.
So they are refusing to censor searches, redirecting to the .hk and that isn't standing up to the Chinese?
The only person round here with a head up an ass is you.
Your head.
Your ass.
Learn to read, dipshit.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]MarsBar2010[/nom]Incidentally, this is what Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, would like for us in the USA. Imagine that! Check out the Internet "Kill Switch" bill up for consideration.[/citation]
Lieberman is a serious tool, I don't think either side really likes him.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]It says above, and I quote, So they are refusing to censor searches, redirecting to the .hk and that isn't standing up to the Chinese?The only person round here with a head up an ass is you.Your head.Your ass.Learn to read, dipshit.[/citation]

Standing up to the Chinese would have meant pulling out of China completely. Instead, they redirected traffic to a site the Chinese will eventually shut down anyway, and went on with business as usual. And I might add that the story says nothing about whether the ICP renewal allows the Chinese gov. continue to censoring search results (like Google ever gave a rat's ass about that anyway). You can defend Google all you want, but their actions have shown a callous disregard for basic human rights in China. Learn to read between the lines, dipshit, and you might come off as a little more intelligent.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]Standing up to the Chinese would have meant pulling out of China completely. Instead, they redirected traffic to a site the Chinese will eventually shut down anyway, and went on with business as usual. And I might add that the story says nothing about whether the ICP renewal allows the Chinese gov. continue to censoring search results (like Google ever gave a rat's ass about that anyway). You can defend Google all you want, but their actions have shown a callous disregard for basic human rights in China. Learn to read between the lines, dipshit, and you might come off as a little more intelligent.[/citation]
No one is defending Google, only you are attacking it, I dont know about you but everyone in here is reading the above state facts.
1) On March 22, the search giant officially stopped censoring search results for Google.cn
2) Google's .com.hk portal where uncensored results could be viewed

Reading between the lines is another way of saying you are basing your opinion on nothing more than hearsay, guesswork, inuendo and hyperbole.
Not very intelligent, so to accuse someone else of the same thing just shows how vastly out of tune you are with reality.

G

I bet the chinese government will now fear all the chinese will rebel against them, watching pr0n and violence all day!

kissbill

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]the title may as well be"Sulplise: China ... welcomes ... business" ![/citation]
My thought would be:

"Surprise: Google Still Wants China's Business!"

Status
Not open for further replies.