Surroundsound headset help

ajuk

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi i just bought the Plantronics RIG 7.1 surround headset and followed the quick setup guide downloaded the software and went into Arma 3 to try them out.

So as you do I threw a grenade tunrned around wating to see what it sounded like but instead of a loud boom I got this strange high pitch juddering that wouldn't stop until I paused the game

I tried this a few times even restarting the computer but the same thing happens.

Very disappointed as was expecting alot from these as I've been using the free in ear headphone i got with my mobile phone so was expecting to have a huge sound improvement

Can anyone help would really appreciate it

Thanks

Alex

ajuk

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Well I'd rather find out if its something I've not done correctly first. But also when I've tried with music they aren't very loud at the highest they will go with the systems volume at full too and get a bit of distortion my free mobile phone earbuds are much louder and clearer

Most surround headsets make significant design sacrifices in order to handle surround sound. In this case though, it's just another generic stereo headset using Dolby Headphone to virtualize 7.1. Badly, in this case. I'd return them on principle.

FYI, if you really want good surround, buy a cheap soundcard (ASUS Xonar DG and Creative Soundblaster Z come to mind), buy a decent set of stereo Headphones (I use the Audio-Technica m50), and enable Dolby Headphone. Gives the same result as what you're using, but at a much higher quality for basically the same price.

ajuk

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for your help. What would a soundcard do? I have a gaming laptop so i assume i wouldnt be able to use that idea. I have the asus g751jt
i just wanted to get a good pair of headphones to make the experience of gaming even better and thought surround sound was the way to go to get the full experience.
I dont have alot to spend and their are so many out there that its hard to know what ones are good all i looked at had good and bad reviews so its almost impossible to decide.
I've sent the plantronics ones back today so I'm hoping i get my money back as I've opened them otherwise thats £65 I've wasted