Survey: 52 Percent Have Clicked On A Spam Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
All this means is that 48% of respondents lied. Nobody who uses email has *never* opened a piece of spam mail. As in, never, ever even once did they click on a piece of spam by accident.

Heck, with preview panes it's impossible for me to go half a day without seeing some spam -- if only to delete it.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]talys[/nom]All this means is that 48% of respondents lied. Nobody who uses email has *never* opened a piece of spam mail. As in, never, ever even once did they click on a piece of spam by accident.Heck, with preview panes it's impossible for me to go half a day without seeing some spam -- if only to delete it.[/citation]
I think there is a bit misunderstanding here. I open the spam emails in order to understand the latest scam, but you have to use e-mail client that have safe mode. The problem occurs if someone using old OutLook Express that automatically loads all images and executes JavaScripts. The user gets owned on the spot.
The real problem is that many users are continuing to click on the links embedded into the spam emails and get redirected to bad web sites. The main reason why we get so much spam is because the spam works and makes money for the spammers. Once we educate the users or come with effective technology to block them (very unlikely) the spam will become all most none existing, but until then I am going to continue to win lottery every day. Lucky me! :D

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Survey: 52% of people who use email have no common sense.[/citation]

According to this article... 12 percent. Don't tell me you haven't clicked on a spam email before. I mean, who doesn't want bigger fuller breasts?

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I click on spam mail all the time. Usually that means I have a good day. Great laughs to be had with the "royaltee" of other countries.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
bleah surveys only say what people want them to.

Have I ever opened spam email? - yep
Have I ever clicked on some of the links? - yep
Been burned by said link? - yep
ever bought anything? - No.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Ever tried to buy something in a spam email, nope. All I see in my spam box on my gmail account is stuff about buying pills for a bigger dick. Sorry, I'm not that insecure or foolish to buy that crap.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Have I ever opened spam email? - yep
Have I ever clicked on some of the links? - yep
Been burned by said link? - No.
ever bought anything? - No.

I followed a couple of links in the past, out of curiosity and I might do so in the future. I'm always willing to see how the scamers do to lure people. Putting out their fake pharmaceutical site or copying my bank's site in order for me to put in my password. Some are really good but anyone with moderate computer knowledge will see that there's something fishy.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I like to check out my spam. =D
Got some spam in Manderin (Chinese) and so I went as far ass to translate it just to cure my curiosity.
Apparantly my online banking in a eastern Canada bank was having issues and I had to login in to it... looked very legit... I LOVED IT! Professional spam... one flaw, that bank doesn't even exist in my city...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS