[SOLVED] Suspected GPU failure

Daveofthewood

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Hi All

So for around 15 months now I've had issues with my computer, I'll detail the 4 symptom areas below. But ultimately, after a long process of elimination I've whittled it down to suspected GPU failure, the reason I'm writing this is that before I drop $700 on a new GPU I want to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues and can confirm. So without further ado:

Issue 1 - Black screen after start up - I see the motherboard logo and loading prompt, then screen goes black and GPU fan sounds like it's running at max and I have to restart manually. Sometimes I'll get the blue screen of death - with Video card cited as the issue.

Issue 2 - Short Black screen after start up to desktop. So this issue is worse than issue 1, screen goes black for 2-3 seconds then back to normal. The problem with this is that it knocks out the ability to control the fan, also (on EVGA precision and CAM) it reads that the core clock is N/A. If I'm gaming or try to game thereafter I'll experience severe framerate drops with this. This can happen in game as well.

Issue 3 - Random restarts. Could be browsing the web, or could be gaming, but screen goes black fan speed on GPU goes up to 100% then restarts. Sometimes normally, sometimes back to issue 1, sometimes have to restart multiple times to get it to work.

Issue 4 - Massive framerate drop after start up. FPS goes to near 0, every action (clicking the mouse, control, alt, delete etc) has a delay of about 20 seconds, meaning I'm unable to shut down normally, so have to restart manually.

My system specs:

• 8700k - no overclock
  • RTX 2080 Hybrid - no overclock (I installed the hybrid kit myself bye bye warranty)
  • Gkill 16 GB ddr4 - 3200 mhz
  • Samsung 970 1tb & 500 gb + 860 evo 1tb
  • MSI Z390 Edge - ITX
  • Corsair RMX 850 psu

Things I've done so far, but have had no positive effect:
  • Swapped motherboards, same issue. Updated Bios
  • Memory, switched slots, ran Memtest
  • Swapped PSU and cables. Also checked all cables plugged in.
  • Reinstalled windows x4 times now, on different SSDs
  • Changed power management settings
  • Turned off integrated graphics
  • Updated/reinstalled gpu drivers, gone back to old drivers. I don't think this is a driver issue as this has happened through 4-5 drivers now.
  • Checked GPU is seated in the slot ok.

So whilst issue 1 happens regardless of what I do, if I can get to the desktop with no issues, weirdly I've found that If I play one particular game (MechWarrior 5) for 20-30 mins, I'm then able to carry on using the PC normally from thereafter. However if I don't do this, and start browsing the web, or play another game issue 2 will happen frequently, and issue 3 sometimes (loading screens in Skyrim, Fallout 4, Witcher 3 really set issue 2 and 3 off).

Would welcome your thoughts, would love to swap out the GPU to test my theory but I can't. So hopefully someone has had these issues before (please God....)

Thanks

Daveofthewood

Solution
You have re-installed Windows.
Swap PSU and motherboards.
Tested your RAM.
So it looks like your GPU is the common denominator.
Yeah, seems to be the GPU. That's a real bummer.

I'd say the best you can do is wait for the Ampere GPUs which should be announced very soon. That way if you have to drop another $700 on a GPU, at least you're getting a generation worth of architectural improvements and overall better performance/$. Maybe get the EVGA hybrid version to begin with too so that there are no warranty issues if something like this should happen again.

Reactions: Daveofthewood

Daveofthewood

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks both, to be honest, after all this I'm more relieved than anything that I know what it is. I wouldn't mind a like for like replacement (Hybrid 2080 is the cheapest I've seen for a while), but will see what my finances are like when Ampere or Navi hits. Note to self, leave Hybrid installation to the pro's....

Thanks

Thanks both, to be honest, after all this I'm more relieved than anything that I know what it is. I wouldn't mind a like for like replacement (Hybrid 2080 is the cheapest I've seen for a while), but will see what my finances are like when Ampere or Navi hits. Note to self, leave Hybrid installation to the pro's....

Thanks

Have you tested the GPU as it came from factory ...with its original cooler?