Question Sustainable EXPRESSCARD setup

Jun 20, 2024
So boys. I have a core 2 duo laptop, 2.6ghz 4mb with 6gb ram. GMA X3100, it's barely functional. The laptop has an Expresscard slot and I know a place to get a cheap EXP GDC that I can pair with a used gpu.

My laptop surprisingly only takes 45w. and I know a PCIEx16 slot can only take up to 75w, I'm thinking of getting a GT740 4gb ddr3 as my gpu of choice.

Do you guys think it's possible for me to power the EXP GDC and my laptop with a single usb c charging brick, like a 180w charger with dual 90w outputs? I'll get a dc to usb adapter for my laptop (easy).

Need your help to find a barrel jack to usb for the EXP GDC. I wanna do this cuz I wanna reduce weight as much as possible. and keep costs lower. is this possible in your collective experience?

Jun 20, 2024
Gaming is not my main goal, I want a good amount of video outputs, currently my IGPU is not even able to get my cpu above 60% usage on any basic game before maxing out. Even for gaming, I will not be able to fully utilize the gpu, I need this gpu for hardware acceleration of a few of my apps, for better encoding and decoding for video playing experience. None of which are bandwidth heavy tasks.

USAFRet

Titan
Gaming is not my main goal, I want a good amount of video outputs, currently my IGPU is not even able to get my cpu above 60% usage on any basic game before maxing out. Even for gaming, I will not be able to fully utilize the gpu, I need this gpu for hardware acceleration of a few of my apps, for better encoding and decoding for video playing experience. None of which are bandwidth heavy tasks.
I had not considered gaming at all.

Whatever you use it for, and whatever other parts you glue on, that CPU will be holding the whole thing back.

External GPU - AKA "How to turn a poorly performing laptop into a poorly performing desktop".

Jun 20, 2024
Im gonna tell you my true intentions now, maybe that might help, y'see, This laptop is a big part of my childhood, I wanna revive it and give it new life, I have a projector and an ancient surround sound speaker setup. I wanna have movie nights and lan parties, I have games like halo, worms, smash, mario kart, all old retro games that are either splitscreen or lan capable. None of these games are stressing my cpu much and all of them are being held down by my display adapter of an IGPU, I NEED an external gpu setup that can be carried, is portable even if jank, just so these basic games work, hardware acceleration for blustacks x and discord works and encoding and decoding for movies from my VLC over wifi setup and to push my projector and surround sound.