Swap SSD between identical laptops

zennrix

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
I got a Dell XPS 15 that's a defect and I'm having a replacement sent. To avoid having to set up a new computer again, can I take out the OS drive with all my data from the original unit and swap it into the new laptop? Will it work without issue? They will both be identical computers

RealBeast

Titan
I got a Dell XPS 15 that's a defect and I'm having a replacement sent. To avoid having to set up a new computer again, can I take out the OS drive with all my data from the original unit and swap it into the new laptop? Will it work without issue? They will both be identical computers
Since they are identical it should work, although have an install stick/disk available because it is not the exact same drive and that can cause an issue if you don't have a install stick/disk available to do a repair.

And it's not a bad idea to have a disk image saved somewhere else made with the free version of Macrium Reflect for future issues and just in case. Don't do a clone, just a full backup that you can replace onto the OS drive.

Reactions: zennrix

USAFRet

Titan
It will PROBABLY work.
You may run into an activation issue for the OS licensing. You'd need to work that out with MS.

It might not work.
Windows does not want to boot if it was not installed on that same system.
What exactly determines this, I do not know.
A different bios level might be one obstacle, for example.
Unless you have lots of apps installed, I think I would go ahead and use the normal setup.

zennrix

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Since they are identical it should work, although have an install stick/disk available because it is not the exact same drive and that can cause an issue if you don't have a install stick/disk available to do a repair.

And it's not a bad idea to have a disk image saved somewhere else made with the free version of Macrium Reflect for future issues and just in case. Don't do a clone, just a full backup that you can replace onto the OS drive.
I used Macrium to take a full disk image just in case something goes wrong. How would I go about using it?

zennrix

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
It might not work.
Windows does not want to boot if it was not installed on that same system.
What exactly determines this, I do not know.
A different bios level might be one obstacle, for example.
Unless you have lots of apps installed, I think I would go ahead and use the normal setup.
Is it because it requires re-activation or something? I have a lot of programs, as well as some that require code authorization to use so I would much rather be able to swap the drives

USAFRet

Titan
I used Macrium to take a full disk image just in case something goes wrong. How would I go about using it?
While helpful, a full disk image is only really applicable to the original system.
If it fails to boot up in the new, that Image would also fail to work.

But, you can retrieve personal docs from that Image if needed.