Question Swapped in some new parts and now I'm in strife

Apr 13, 2022
Hi

I've upgraded my PC with a new CPU and new RAM, and now I'm not able to get any output at all on my monitor. It also appears that the GPU (an Asus TUF RTX 3080 ) might not be getting any juice at all, as it's not lighting up at all.

Note: I tested the monitor cable on my laptop to confirm the monitor is working fine. I tested the monitor with the HDMI port on the i/o rather than the graphics card output for the PC, and it doesn't make any difference (i.e. nothing).

I swapped in a new 15-13500 for the existing i5-12400, and replaced the existing ram (corsair vengeance LPX 16 (2 x 8)) with the LPX 32.

To do so, I undid all connections to the motherboard, removed the GPU, removed the CPU cooler, old RAM and CPU. Then I reversed the process (new RAM, CPU, replaced CPU cooler, replaced the motherboard, replaced CPU cooler, and then re-cabled everything.

The motherboard doesn't seem to be giving off any warning flashes with its LEDs, although I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I'm a very new PC builder, and I find the cabling, and setting little screws pretty awkward. I had a hard time seating the GPU, although it seemed to click in OK.

Build as is, after the new parts: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Daniel_Daniel/saved/#view=gw6Xf7

What do I try now? Any advice is appreciated.

Regards

Daniel

Apr 13, 2022
You have a B660 board; 12th generation.

You moved to a 13500 CPU; 13th generation.

Are you sure the BIOS now on the board in fact supports 13th generation processors?

Hi @Lafong

The MSI website shows the motherboard as compatible: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660-TOMAHAWK-WIFI-DDR4/support#cpu

The build itself is only about a month old, and I'm pretty sure I made sure I had the latest version of bios when I built it.

So, it's probably not that. Also, if that were the case, would the GPU still look like it's getting juice? (I prefer closed cases without the glass etc, but pretty sure the graphics card is supposed to light up a little bit when it's running).

Regards

Daniel

I don't use GPUs, so have no idea about that.

The 12400 and 13500 both have integrated graphics. You should be able to run OK without a graphics card.

About the BIOS. You say "pretty sure" you flashed to latest. Not positive.

I'd confirm what BIOS is on the board.....if necessary by putting the 12400 back in. You can flash the board to any required BIOS with the 12400 and then swap to the 13500.

Reactions: Daniel_Daniel
Apr 13, 2022
This is taking longer than expected. I'd overtightened the mobo screws (probably anxious), and getting it off was an absolute dog. The case standoffs and the mobo have been poorly aligned since day 1, and I think I used too much force to try get a good fit.

I got the old CPU back in, but I still need to re-attach everything else, and I've run out of time today.

@Roland Of Gilead I used the battery method to clear CMOS while I had the guts out. Assuming I can get the machine going again tomorrow and can update bios (if needed), do I need another CMOS clear, or is one enough?

@Roland Of Gilead I used the battery method to clear CMOS while I had the guts out. Assuming I can get the machine going again tomorrow and can update bios (if needed), do I need another CMOS clear, or is one enough?

Well, yes, the machine should be fine to start up. Just make sure you have the old CPU in. Then when the update is done, you should clear CMOS again.

I know it's a pain, but it rules out issues.

Reactions: Daniel_Daniel
Apr 13, 2022
@Roland Of Gilead and @Lafong, thank you both

I followed your instructions, including multiple CMOS clears, and the machine is up and running.

The weird thing is, I seem to be running a slightly older version of bios than I was before, but I went with the version recommended on the MSI page. I'm still not sure if it was to do with the bios, or whether something weird was going on with the standoffs, but problem solved!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead