Question Swapped PSU's made the fatal mistake of not switching my connected cables out. What needs to be replaced?

Aug 7, 2019
Can someone tell me how expensive my mistake was?
Is it just the Hard drives and SDDs that were fried or is it the PSU too? I can't imagine my Motherboard or CPU would be affected since this is semi-modular and I used new cables on my GPU thankfully.

If it were just the drives, I think I can get over this, I had a reasonable amount of things backed up to an external hard drive. And hard drives aren't hard to get anyways.

I really didn't think a mistake so easy to make could be THIS devastating. It was really, really, really easy that I didn't even consider that I was about to completely ruin my computer and my entire year in one fell swoop. Definitely not gonna be touching another computer's inside after this gonna leave it to the pros no matter what, these things are too expensive to be playing around with and this came at possibly the worst possible time for me.

Anyone reading this let this be a cautionary tale. IF you're going to put in a new PSU yourself after upgrading DO NOT use your old cables under any circumstances.
IF you're inexperienced with PCs and don't have much money DO NOT attempt to install parts yourself, just hire a professional because you may end up doing more damage yourself.

I'm absolutely hitting myself now because this could have been so easily avoided but I decided to try and assemble and upgrade my PC myself, and it worked for awhile despite my inexperience, but now i'm paying the price.

Aug 7, 2019
Would like just a little more info. Why do think/know that the devices are "fried"? What have you tried to fix and to what end?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...upply-my-pc-wont-boot-past-bios-help.3511243/
There's my post about my problem initially before I found out how devastating my mistake was.
BIOS won't recognize my HDDs or SDDs, and i'm assuming those are toast as a result, and i'm wondering if anyone can tell me what else might be screwed.

Aug 7, 2019
The only way to know is to positively determine what, if anything, got fried.

So...what's not working?
PSU seems to work fine I think? It boots up to bios and everything else turns on as normal. But i've read online that using old cables like I did could damage the PSU so I don't know if there's damage I can't see.
CPU and the motherboard are fine I think. The BIOS doesn't tell me anything is wrong with them other than the fact that it can't detect my storage space.

So it might be just any of the storage drives I have.

Aug 7, 2019
So the system seems to work, except for one or more of the drives in it?
Yes, all of the drives are screwed at least. Part of the problem with my inexperience is that I can't spot what components work and what don't, all I know for sure is that the drives don't work, none of the 3 I had.

I want to know whether or not it's common for the PSU to be unusable after a scenario like this, or if i'd be safe to use the PSU again when I inevitably have to replace all 3 drives.

TRENDING THREADS