Question Swapped to a new case now computer turns on randomly

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
Hello. I recently swapped to a new pc case. The only thing I changed was the power supply. Now whenever I put my pc to sleep or shut it down, it turns back on, on its own. I have gone through and disabled a bunch of things that can "wake" the pc in sleep mode and none of that helped. I am at a loss. I feel like I have tried everything. Could it be a wiring problem? Has anyone had this happen?

Also when I run powercfg /lastwake it comes back with nothing. Very confused.

It wakes my wife up at night lol

Last edited:
It's possible it's the power supply itself.
However it's also possible something didn't go right with the transfer.
If I had a supply I knew worked....I might swap it in just to eliminate or conclude the supply as the problem.
If it isn't the supply....I'd power down and carefully look at everything in the case.
Also....if you didn't use the same standoffs in the same places on the motherboard....that can be an issue.
I'd be looking for anything shorted to the case.
I'd also check the outlet to make sure it actually had a ground.....and I would check that the case was connected to it.

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
It's possible it's the power supply itself.
However it's also possible something didn't go right with the transfer.
If I had a supply I knew worked....I might swap it in just to eliminate or conclude the supply as the problem.
If it isn't the supply....I'd power down and carefully look at everything in the case.
Also....if you didn't use the same standoffs in the same places on the motherboard....that can be an issue.
I'd be looking for anything shorted to the case.
I'd also check the outlet to make sure it actually had a ground.....and I would check that the case was connected to it.

Thank you. I did already check all the connections and this power supply was fine before this. I am going to clear my reset my bios and see if that helps. I mean everything works fine aside from it waking itself up or turning back on after I shut down.

Yes..it's possible the contacts in the button itself are making an intermittent contact, or on of its leads to the motherboard is shorting out somewhere (pinched and exposed against the case somewhere for example). If disconnecting the switch from the mobo solves the issue, then confirm that the leads are free, properly insulated..if so, see if you can get a replacement switch, or swap the reset button to the Power Switch header on the mobo, since they should both be two lead switches that operate on the same principal (momentary contact).

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
Yes..it's possible the contacts in the button itself are making an intermittent contact, or on of its leads to the motherboard is shorting out somewhere (pinched and exposed against the case somewhere for example). If disconnecting the switch from the mobo solves the issue, then confirm that the leads are free, properly insulated..if so, see if you can get a replacement switch, or swap the reset button to the Power Switch header on the mobo, since they should both be two lead switches that operate on the same principal (momentary contact).

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS